Improve Power Transmission: Square Insert Breaking Problem

• Thread starter rashidin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is working on improving a power transmission problem where the square insert joining the clutch system to the motor is frequently breaking. They suspect that the cause may be shocks and pulses exerted on the system. Others suggest using shock absorbers or using a larger or less brittle square insert.
rashidin
Hi all,
I am currently assigned to improve a power transmission problem. The square insert joining the clutch system of a motor to my power transmission system is always broken. Based on my initial calculations, the square insert is able to withstand up to 20 times more torque than the motor's highest rated torque (based on it power and max rpm).

I suspects that it is broken due to shocks and pulse exerted on the power transmission system. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would have to see the materials and damage to even form an uninformed opinion -- but shock is probably the culprit. Is the motor an internal combustion kinda thing? There could be a very high accel right after each ignition. Some motorcycles I've hacked have springs or even rubber-bumpers in the clutch basket where it connects to the primary drive to act as shock absorbers.

Otherwise use a bigger square. Or a less brittle material (presuming you have sheering rather than rounding of the corners...).

1. What is the cause of the square insert breaking problem in power transmission?

The main cause of the square insert breaking problem is excessive stress and strain on the insert due to high torque or shock loads.

2. How can this problem be prevented?

To prevent the square insert breaking problem, proper selection of materials and design of the power transmission system is crucial. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of the system can help identify and address potential issues before they lead to insert breakage.

3. What are some common materials used for power transmission inserts?

Common materials for power transmission inserts include steel, aluminum, and various types of alloys. The specific material used will depend on the application and required strength and durability.

4. Are there any alternative solutions to prevent square insert breaking?

Yes, there are alternative solutions such as using a different type of insert, such as a round or triangular insert, or implementing a different type of power transmission system altogether, such as a belt or chain drive.

5. How can I determine the appropriate torque and load for my power transmission system?

The appropriate torque and load for a power transmission system can be determined through careful calculation and analysis of the system's components and operating conditions. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or use specialized software to accurately determine these values.