Adding and Subtracting Vectors

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with a physics problem involving trigonometric functions and vector addition. They are unsure if their solution is correct, and the expert explains how to solve the problem correctly, taking into account the given precision and the method specified in the question.
hyde2042

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/fiUPD.png

Homework Equations

Asin(Theta)
Acos(Theta)
Ax+Bx=Cx, Ay+By=Cy

Cx^2+Cy^2=C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with the answer I got for part a). I used 3cos120 and got 2.44. Then put in 3sin120 and got 1.74.

I added these to the Bx and By quantities and got 2.44=Cx and 4.74 for By. (Since B is on the origin I used (0 and 3 for Bx and By respectively).

After squaring and finding the square root of C, I got 5.33. Which is close to the answer of 5.2 in the back of the book, but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything corrct, but perhaps the number I got is a bit off due to some rounding up. THank you for your time.

Edit: I also got 62.76 degrees for the arctan of Cy/Cx (4.74/2.44), which is still close to the 60 degrees the book says. Thank you once again for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get 120 from? Theta is 30 degrees.

3cos(30o) = 2.59807621 (I'm keeping all the digits until the end, to avoid rounding error)

3sin(30o) = 1.5

Cx = Ax + Bx = 2.59807621 + 0 = 2.59807621

Cy = Ay + By = 4.5

|C| = (Cx2 + Cy2)1/2

= 5.19615242

= 5.20 (rounding to 3 sig figs, since that is the precision of the magnitudes of 3.00 m that you were given).

By the way, the question says solve graphically. Are you sure you weren't supposed to do vector addition using the parallelogram rule or something (rather than resolving into components)?

Oh. Thanks. I got 120 from putting the point of B to the tail of A and getting the angle of that since it was A+B.

And thanks for pointing out the "graphically" part. I read through questions too quickly.

Ah crap... I was also in Radians.

hyde2042 said:
Oh. Thanks. I got 120 from putting the point of B to the tail of A and getting the angle of that since it was A+B.

And thanks for pointing out the "graphically" part. I read through questions too quickly.

No, you are mixing up two different methods. Either you resolve each of the vectors into components and add them component-wise, or you do the tip-to-tail thing.

Can you see why, when resolving just A into components, the x-component of A has to be equal to |A|cos(theta) and the y-component has to be equal to |A|sin(theta)? Draw it out.

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly represented by arrows and can be used to describe physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you first need to make sure they are of the same type (e.g. displacement, velocity). Then, you can add their magnitudes by using basic arithmetic. Next, you need to find the resultant direction by using trigonometry or the Pythagorean theorem. Finally, you can represent the resultant vector by drawing an arrow from the start to the end point.

3. Can you add more than two vectors?

Yes, you can add any number of vectors by following the same process as adding two vectors. First, add the magnitudes of all the vectors and then find the resultant direction. You can repeat this process until you have added all the desired vectors.

4. What is the difference between adding and subtracting vectors?

Adding vectors involves combining them to find the resultant vector, while subtracting vectors involves finding the difference between two vectors. The process of finding the resultant vector is the same for both, but the direction of the vectors being subtracted is reversed.

5. Can you subtract a larger vector from a smaller vector?

Yes, you can subtract a larger vector from a smaller vector. This will result in a negative vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of the difference between the two vectors. However, in some situations, this result may not be physically meaningful.