Is Morrison's Book Ideal for Real-World QM Applications?

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good textbook on quantum mechanics, specifically one that relates the theory to real-world applications and provides a comprehensive explanation of the experimental basis. Morrison's book is recommended, but it is noted that it puts more emphasis on problem-solving rather than experiment. Other suggestions include Feynman's lectures, "Quantum mechanics" by Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloe, and books on nuclear or particle physics. Ballentine's "QM - A Modern Development" is also suggested for its unique approach to developing QM from two axioms.
darkchild
I've been looking for a good QM book for a while, and I'm considering purchasing Morrison's book. I've already completed an undergrad QM course with Griffith's. I would like to find a book that is strongly oriented towards relating QM theory to the real world, rather than just explaining how to solve problems on idealized examples. I would especially like to have a comprehensive explanation of the experimental basis of the theory (what happened in the lab, how it was interpreted, what that led to, etc.), but examples of actual laboratory applications would be great as well.

If you've read this book, did you find that it covered either of these topics well? I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi darkchild,

I am pleased to hear you are looking for a good text on QM. It is amazing what a difference it can make to have a text that suits your thinking style.

Personally, I loved Morrison's book: comprehensive, clear and very thorough. It was the book I learned QM from, and I often refer back to it for the basics. The build-up to quantisation and the tenents of quantum mechanics from wave-particle duality is done really well. It probably covers the same things as Griffith's; but to my mind in a nicer way. It's also more undergrad-orientated.

It has a good introduction to the double-slit experiment; but tends to put more emphasis on problem-solving than on experiment, which is not what you are looking for, I think.

Feynman's lectures on QM handle the experimental basis for QM very well, and
"Quantum mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu and F. Laloe
has quite a nice introduction to the double-slit experiment.

And if you want actual laboratory applications of QM, I would suggest any book on nuclear physics or nuclear reactions (Wong is a nice one); or particle physics (Martin and Shaw is the *best*).

Happy reading!
Katheryn

The other book you should look at is Ballentine - QM - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Basically it develops QM from just two axioms, and gives the most fundamental explanation of Schroedinger's equation etc based on symmetry, specifically that QM probabilities are frame independent.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Morrison's Understanding QM"?

"Morrison's Understanding QM" is a popular textbook on the subject of Quantum Mechanics, written by physicist Robert Morrison. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts, principles, and applications of quantum mechanics.

2. Is "Morrison's Understanding QM" suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Morrison's Understanding QM" is designed for students with little to no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. The book starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for beginners.

3. What makes "Morrison's Understanding QM" stand out from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

"Morrison's Understanding QM" is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts. It also includes numerous illustrations, examples, and practice problems to enhance understanding and application of the material. Additionally, the book presents a historical perspective on the development of quantum mechanics, giving readers a deeper appreciation for the subject.

4. Is "Morrison's Understanding QM" only for students studying physics?

No, "Morrison's Understanding QM" is a valuable resource for students in various fields, including chemistry, engineering, and computer science. It covers the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics that are applicable in many areas of science and technology.

5. Does "Morrison's Understanding QM" cover advanced topics in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Morrison's Understanding QM" covers both the fundamental and advanced topics in quantum mechanics. It includes chapters on advanced topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum computation, and quantum field theory, making it a comprehensive resource for students at all levels.