Identical particles in a 2D potential well

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a problem involving a two-dimensional potential box and the energy eigenstates and eigenvalues of particles within it. The student asks for confirmation on their reasoning and for help with a subsequent problem. The summary also includes a question about how to write the complete wavefunction for two identical fermions with spin 1/2 in the ground state of the box. The expert suggests writing the two pieces of the wavefunction next to each other or using a symbol to indicate it is a Cartesian product. The student expresses difficulty finding an example in their textbook.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

So, I'm asking for a bit of help before I confuse myself completely.

The question statement is:

Consider a two-dimensional potentialbox

[itex]V(x,y) = 0[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq x \leq a, 0 \leq y \leq 2a[/itex]
and infinity otherwise.

a) Determine the energy eigenstates and energy eigenvalues of a particle in this box. The solutions of the 1D potential well can be considered as known.

b) If we place 3 identical bosons in the box, what will the ground state energy be if we disregard interaction between the bosons.

c) Same as in b), but for 3 identical spin 1/2 fermions.

d) Write down the complete wavefunction (with both spatial and spin parts) for the ground state if two identical fermions with spin 1/2 and without interaction are put in the box.

e) Same as d) but for 3 identical fermions with spin 1/2.

Homework Equations

1D potential well equations:

[itex]\psi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} {sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a})}[/itex]

[itex]E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, for a) I did a variable separation and ended up with

[itex]\psi_{n_{x}n_{y}} (x) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{a} sin(\frac{n_x \pi x}{a})sin(\frac{n_y \pi y}{2a})[/itex]

[itex]E_{n_{x}n_{y}} = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2}(n_{x}^2 + \frac{n_{y}^2}{4}) [/itex]

Then in b)

Since there are three bosons they can all be in the same state, and the lowest state would be for [itex]n_x=n_y=1[/itex], so the total energy would be

[itex]E_{tot} = 3E_{1,1} = \frac{15 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}[/itex]

and for c)

Again, the lowest energy will be for [itex]n_x=n_y=1[/itex], but since only two spin 1/2 fermions can be in that energy at the same time, I'll also have a third particle, which I'm thinking will be in [itex]n_x= 1, n_y=2[/itex], since this will give me a lower energy than [itex]n_x= 2, n_y=1[/itex].

So then, the total energy would be:

[itex]E_{tot} = 2E_{1,1}+E_{1,2} = \frac{10 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2} + \frac{8 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2} = \frac{9 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{4ma^2}[/itex]

And that's where I'm not completely sure if my reasoning is completely correct, and where I want to confirm. I haven't started d) and e) yet, but I want to confirm this first, and I'm going to continue doing the rest with the assumptions I have above until I get a reply or figure something else out.

Thank you for any help that you may provide!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine!

Thank you :D

Well then, I actually need some help with d) as well, it turns out.

Because I know, from c), that the two fermions will be in [itex] n_x=n_y=1 [/itex], so that the wavefunctions will be

[itex]\psi_{1,1}^{(1)}(x_1,y_1) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y_1}{2a})[/itex]

[itex]\psi_{1,1}^{(2)}(x_2,y_2) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{a}sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y_2}{2a})[/itex]

Where the exponent on the psi refers to the particle. And this is because if I solve the Schroedinger equation for two particles I can do a variabel (particle) separation as well, and see that

[itex]\psi (x_1,y_1,x_2,y_2) = \psi^{(1)} (x_1,y_1) \psi^{(2)} (x_2,y_2)[/itex]

So then

[itex]\psi (x_1,y_1,x_2,y_2) = \psi_{1,1}^{(1)}(x_1,y_1) \psi_{1,1}^{(2)}(x_2,y_2) = \frac{2}{a^2}sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y_1}{2a})sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y_2}{2a})[/itex]

I also see that this is a symmetric function when exchanging the particles (if this is indeed correct, which I can't honestly say I'm 100% sure about), so I know that they have to be in the singlet spin state.

How on Earth do I write this? Can I just write it as

[itex]\psi (x_1,y_1,x_2,y_2)\left| singlet \right\rangle[/itex]

And can I put in what the singlet state is? I mean, I know it's

[itex]\left| singlet \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\left| \uparrow \downarrow \right\rangle - \left| \downarrow \uparrow \right\rangle)[/itex]

so can I put this into the equation?

Yes, the complete state is a Cartesian product of the spatial state and the spin state. You typically just write them next to each other as you did or perhaps stick a symbol between them indicating it's a Cartesian product. Do you have any examples in your textbook?

I honestly can't find any, the closest I came to it was from my lecture notes, where my teacher wrote

|spatial>|spin>

in an example.

It's funny. I just checked two of my books, and I can't find an example either. I'd just do what your professor did and write the two pieces next to each other. It's pretty clear what it means.

1. What are identical particles in a 2D potential well?

Identical particles in a 2D potential well refer to a system of particles that have the same properties and behave according to the same laws of physics, confined in a two-dimensional space by a potential well. These particles can be atoms, electrons, or any other type of subatomic particles.

2. What is a potential well?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is lower than its surrounding areas. It acts as a "trap" for particles, keeping them confined within the well.

3. How does the behavior of identical particles in a 2D potential well differ from that in a 3D potential well?

In a 2D potential well, the particles are confined to move only in two dimensions, while in a 3D potential well, they can move in three dimensions. This leads to differences in their energy levels and overall behavior within the well.

4. What are some applications of studying identical particles in a 2D potential well?

Studying identical particles in a 2D potential well has applications in many fields, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and materials science. It helps in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which is important for the development of new technologies such as quantum computers and nanodevices.

5. How are identical particles in a 2D potential well related to the concept of quantum statistics?

Identical particles in a 2D potential well are subject to the laws of quantum mechanics, which dictate that their behavior is governed by quantum statistics. This means that their properties and interactions with each other are described by statistical laws rather than classical mechanics. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces, as well as in many other quantum systems.