Can self-training lead to becoming a successful inventor?

• Thread starter EngTechno
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best self-training techniques to become an inventor, the requirements for becoming a patent-holder, and the challenges and costs associated with obtaining a patent. The main points are that self-motivation and hard work are essential in becoming an inventor, and that obtaining a degree from top universities may not be necessary. However, obtaining a patent can be a costly and challenging process.
EngTechno
What are the best self-training techniques to become an inventor? I am a 25 year-old undergraduate Mechanical-Aerospace engineering student. I look forward to become a patent-holder within 10 years. Do I have to get a degree from Top Universities like MIT, CalTech and others in addition to self-motivation? What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
EngTechno said:
What are the best self-training techniques to become an inventor? I am a 25 year-old undergraduate Mechanical-Aerospace engineering student. I look forward to become a patent-holder within 10 years. Do I have to get a degree from Top Universities like MIT, CalTech and others in addition to self-motivation? What do you think?

The only thing you need is two sets of brains and inspiration + the will to work work work...

marlon :approve:

And then you got to pay thousands of $ and wait years for it to be evaluated. And after all that, you'll need loads of lawyer $ if you got to defend it.

Patents aren't that special. There are so many variation of processes that it's trivial to think of something that can be patented. The real challenge is to come up with something that companies find cheaper to license from you, instead of designing around the patent and/or threatening you with a cross licensing scheme. Patents themselves cost around $4,000 w/o a patent lawyer. With a patent lawyer it can run up to $12,000.

I suspect one can involve himself in international issues as well.

1. What are self-training techniques?

Self-training techniques are strategies or methods that individuals can use to learn and improve skills or knowledge on their own, without the guidance or instruction of a teacher or formal education system.

2. Why are self-training techniques important?

Self-training techniques are important because they allow individuals to take control of their own learning and development, which can lead to greater self-awareness, motivation, and personal growth.

3. What are some examples of self-training techniques?

Examples of self-training techniques include self-study, online courses, workshops, reading books, attending conferences, practicing skill-building activities, and seeking feedback and mentorship from others.

4. How can I determine which self-training techniques are best for me?

The best self-training techniques for you will depend on your learning style, goals, and interests. It can be helpful to try out different techniques and reflect on which ones are most effective for you in terms of retaining information and staying motivated.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using self-training techniques?

While self-training techniques can be highly beneficial, some potential drawbacks include lack of structure and accountability, potential for misinformation, and the need for strong self-discipline and time management skills. It's important to approach self-training with a critical mindset and seek out reputable sources and resources.