Geodesic Deviation on an Infinite Cylinder

In summary, ants follow geodesics on an infinite cylinder, which are straight lines and do not deviate. While they may not be able to determine whether they are on a cylinder or a plane based on their own paths and those of their neighbors, they may be able to do so through other observations. Therefore, the answer to the second question is not a definitive "no".
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

Ants follow geodesics on a surface which is an infinite cylinder.
Do the geodesics deviate?
By considering only the paths of itself and its neighbors, can an ant decide whether it is on a cylinder of a plane?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer to the first question is no, since the geodesic on the cylinder is a straight line(?).
For the second question, my answer is also no, since they do not approach together or depart from each other.
I just don't know my answers are right or wrong.
Any comment would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your answers are partially correct. Yes, the geodesics on a cylinder are straight lines, so they do not deviate. However, the second question is a bit more complex. While ants may not be able to determine whether they are on a cylinder or a plane based on their own paths and those of their neighbors, they may be able to do so by observing other factors such as the curvature of the surface or the behavior of other ants on the surface. Additionally, if the ants were able to move in a three-dimensional space, they may be able to detect the curvature of the surface by observing their own movements. So, the answer to the second question may not be a definitive "no". It would depend on the abilities and observations of the ants in question. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep exploring and questioning!

1. What is geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder?

Geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder refers to the phenomenon where a geodesic (the shortest path between two points) on a curved, infinitely long cylinder appears to diverge from itself due to the curvature of the cylinder.

2. How is geodesic deviation measured on an infinite cylinder?

Geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder is measured by comparing the distance between two geodesics at different points along the cylinder. This distance is known as the geodesic deviation vector.

3. What causes geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder?

Geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder is caused by the curvature of the cylinder. As the cylinder is curved, the shortest path between two points is not a straight line, but a curve, resulting in the apparent deviation of the geodesic.

4. How does the radius of the cylinder affect geodesic deviation?

The radius of the cylinder plays a crucial role in geodesic deviation. The larger the radius of the cylinder, the smaller the geodesic deviation, and vice versa. This is because a larger radius means a flatter curvature, resulting in a smaller deviation.

5. What are the applications of studying geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder?

Studying geodesic deviation on an infinite cylinder has applications in various fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It can help us understand the effects of curvature on objects moving through space, design more efficient transportation systems, and develop more accurate models of the universe.