Amplitude modulation frequency component

In summary: If the modulating signal comprises only a single sinusoidal component, then m(t) = Mb represents the fundamental frequency of the modulating signal.
sajib333
Hello Everyone!

About Amplitude Modulation, Usually it is seen in the book or web that (e.g. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3002/en )
'''' The message signal can be represented by m(t) = Mb cos(2πfb + φ)
and the carrier signal can be represented by c(t) = Ac cos(2πfc + φ),
Now Modulated signal = m(t) * c(t) ''

My question is does m(t) represents only the highest frequency component in such a case? Or this is the fundamental frequency component?
Or, this represents the whole message in that all the frequency components/harmonics lying within m(t)? If, this represents the whole message, why only a single frequency component is written (i.e fb)?

If, this represents the max frequency component, why we are only considering only this one? Provided that most of the information of the message is contained in the fundamental frequency? SO, why we are not considering the other ones?

I understand these are very silly queries, I would highly appreciate your time answering me these.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why they wrote m(t) in such a limited way. In general, m(t) is an arbitrary function of time. However, it is generally expected that spectrum of m(t) will be dominated by frequencies much lower than fc.

sajib333 said:
'''' The message signal can be represented by m(t) = Mb cos(2πfb + φ)
and the carrier signal can be represented by c(t) = Ac cos(2πfc + φ),
Now Modulated signal = m(t) * c(t) ''

My question is does m(t) represents only the highest frequency component in such a case? Or this is the fundamental frequency component?
m(t) = Mb cos(2πfb + φ) represents a single component of the modulating signal. If the modulating signal comprises more than one sinusoidal component, then the modulated signal would be the sum of all those m(t)*c(t) products.

1. What is amplitude modulation frequency component?

Amplitude modulation frequency component refers to the varying signal that is added to a carrier wave in order to transmit information through a radio or other communication system. The amplitude of the carrier wave is changed in sync with the frequency of the modulating signal, resulting in a modulated wave that can be demodulated to retrieve the original information.

2. How is amplitude modulation frequency component calculated?

The amplitude modulation frequency component is calculated by multiplying the amplitude of the carrier wave by the amplitude of the modulating signal and then adding or subtracting the result from the carrier wave's original amplitude. This process is known as modulation index and is represented by the formula AM = Ac(1 + m cos ωm t), where Ac is the carrier wave amplitude, m is the modulation index, and ωm is the angular frequency of the modulating signal.

3. What is the purpose of amplitude modulation frequency component in communication systems?

The purpose of amplitude modulation frequency component is to transmit information through a carrier wave in a more efficient manner. By varying the amplitude of the carrier wave, multiple signals can be transmitted simultaneously on different frequencies, allowing for more data to be transmitted in a given amount of time. Additionally, amplitude modulation is less susceptible to noise and interference than other modulation techniques, making it a reliable method for communication.

4. How does amplitude modulation frequency component differ from frequency modulation?

Amplitude modulation frequency component and frequency modulation (FM) are two different techniques used to transmit information through a carrier wave. In AM, the amplitude of the carrier wave is varied, while in FM, the frequency of the carrier wave is varied. FM is typically used for high-quality audio transmissions, while AM is more commonly used for radio broadcasting.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of amplitude modulation frequency component?

The main advantage of amplitude modulation frequency component is its ability to transmit multiple signals simultaneously on different frequencies. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective method of modulation. However, AM is more susceptible to noise and interference, and the quality of the transmitted signal can be affected by changes in the amplitude of the carrier wave. Additionally, AM requires a larger bandwidth compared to other modulation techniques, which can be a limitation in some communication systems.