Exploring the Pauli Vector: Mathematical Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a Pauli vector, which is written as a sum of three terms with different elements. The question is raised about the mathematical validity of multiplying these two different elements, but it is explained that it is simply a shorthand notation and not a decomposition of a vector with respect to a basis. The conversation compares this notation to other common constructions in mathematics.
Grufey
Hello

I'm reading my old notes of QM, I found the definition of Pauli vector, as follow

[tex]\vec{\sigma}=\sigma_1 e_x+\sigma_2e_y + \sigma_3 e_z[/tex]

Where [tex]e_x. e_y[/tex] and [tex]e_z[/tex] are unit vectors.

So, here is my question. [tex]\sigma_i[/tex] and [tex]e_i[/tex] are elements of different nature. How can we define the product [tex]\sigma_ie_i[/tex]??

I understand the idea, ok. But, mathematically don't seem right

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I am not certain what is going on, I will try. If I understand correctly, you are wondering why we can put the matrix and the vector next to each other. I think the idea is similar to product groups and product rings, which are very simple and common constructions where the behavior in one component has little to do with the behavior in the other component. For instance the product of the integers with the rationals, where addition is defined by (n,p)+(m,q)=(n+m,p+q). You might consider a product ring M x M', where M is space of 2x2 matrices, and M' is space of 3x3 matrices. If I did not get your question right, I hope this helps give ideas on how you might reword or fill us in on more about the definitions.

It is actually a shorthand (and misleading) notation. The "vector" you mention always appears in either a cross or a dot product in which the <units> are "coupled" with other units, this time real ones, like for momentum operators. So it's not a decomposition of a vector with respect to a basis (i,j,k or ex, ey, ez), it's just a handy notation which shortens some long expressions, i.e. i/o writing [itex] p_x \sigma_x + p_y \sigma_y + p_z \sigma_z [/itex] one writes [itex] \displaystyle{\vec{\sigma}\cdot \vec{p}} [/itex].

Sorry I was too busy this week and I could not reply before.

That's what I thought, it's only a notation. misleading notation.

Regards

The same thing happens in relativity, where you have the [itex] \sigma_{\mu} [/itex]. It's no real 4-vector (1-form), just a shorthand notation which is useful, but can be misleading.

What is the Pauli Vector?

The Pauli Vector, also known as the Pauli Spin Vector, is a mathematical construct used to describe the state of a quantum system with spin 1/2. It is a vector with three components (x, y, z) that represents the direction and magnitude of the spin of a particle.

What is the mathematical definition of the Pauli Vector?

The mathematical definition of the Pauli Vector is given by the Pauli matrices, which are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. These matrices, denoted as σx, σy, and σz, represent the three components of the Pauli Vector.

How is the Pauli Vector used in quantum mechanics?

The Pauli Vector is used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin state of a particle. It is a fundamental concept in the study of quantum systems and is used in various calculations and equations, such as the Schrodinger equation.

What are the properties of the Pauli Vector?

The Pauli Vector has several important properties, including being a Hermitian operator, having eigenvalues of +1 and -1, and satisfying the Pauli exclusion principle. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum entanglement.

Can the Pauli Vector be visualized?

Yes, the Pauli Vector can be visualized as a vector in three-dimensional space. The direction and length of the vector represent the spin state of a particle, with the x, y, and z components corresponding to the projections of the spin along each axis.