Finding if an integer is odd through Riemann or some function?

In summary, to find if a number is odd or not, the equation X % 2 = 1 can be expressed as the sum of 1 + 2 .. +n is n(n+1) /2 or as a Riemann sum. To add only the odd numbers from a random set of N integers to a sum, one can use the modulus function or test the last bit to see if it's 1. The equation 2*n+1 is always an odd number, for any value of n. Additionally, another method is to use the equation \frac{1 - (-1)^n}{2} to add all the odd terms in a given function, resulting in a simplified expression of \sum_{x
caljuice
I'm trying to find if a number is odd or not, basically if X % 2 = 1.

Can this be expressed through some function? Like the sum of 1 + 2 .. +n is n(n+1) /2

Or as a Riemann sum?

I'm trying to add only the odd numbers from a random set of N integers to a sum.

Physics news on Phys.org
caljuice said:
I'm trying to find if a number is odd or not, basically if X % 2 = 1.

Can this be expressed through some function? Like the sum of 1 + 2 .. +n is n(n+1) /2

Or as a Riemann sum?

I'm trying to add only the odd numbers from a random set of N integers to a sum.

Do you mean in some programming language? If '/' is integer division, then x is even if and only if

x = 2 * (x/2). [using '=' as equality, not assignment]

But if you already have a mod operator like % then you can just use that.

i'm not entirely sure what you're getting at either, but
2*n+1 is always an odd number, for any value of n.

ohh okay i think i see what you're saying, you have a set of random numbers, and you only want to add the odd ones.
yes the modulus function works well.
if(x%2 == 1){
}
alternatively, you can test the last bit to see if it's 1.
if(x&1 == 1){
}
this is slightly faster.

Not what I meant but I did word this problem poorly. It's actually probably a bad and weird question anyway. I appreciate the help though

For example
Let's say the set of integers is from some function( not random anymore)
[itex]\sum \limits_{i=1}^n A (A\mod{2})[/itex] is only adding odd terms but the equation is not reducible, so I was hoping the % could be expressed differently so I could solve or reduce the problem. If finding the number was odd or mod or % 2 was rewritable as a function or riemann sum, then I could reduce or solve the problem.

caljuice said:
If finding the number was odd or mod or % 2 was rewritable as a function or riemann sum, then I could reduce or solve the problem.

I fail to see how Riemann sums would be relevant in what appears to be a discrete math question.

caljuice said:
Not what I meant but I did word this problem poorly. It's actually probably a bad and weird question anyway. I appreciate the help though

For example
[itex]\sum \limits_{i=1}^n A (A\mod{2})[/itex] is only adding odd terms but the equation is not reducible, so I was hoping the % could be expressed differently so I could solve or reduce the problem. If finding the number was odd or mod or % 2 was rewritable as a function or riemann sum, then I could reduce or solve the problem.

I think he wants do something like the trick with minus signs alternating by using n for an exponent on -1. Just a guess here.

coolul007 said:
I think he wants do something like the trick with minus signs alternating by using n for an exponent on -1. Just a guess here.

So something like
##\frac{1 - (-1)^n}{2}##

pwsnafu said:
So something like
##\frac{1 - (-1)^n}{2}##

adding all the odds would look like this:

[itex]\sum n(\frac{1 - (-1)^n}{2})[/itex]

where n is a positive integer

Ya that works, thanks guys. Sorry about the poor wording. I used that equation daily in my Fourier series class, I'm surprised I forgot about that after one summer.

caljuice said:

For example

I don't understand the problem here. All odd numbers equal 1 mod 2, so adding n odd numbers will give you the result in mod 2 the following:

[itex]\sum \limits_{i=1}^n A\mod{2}) = n [/itex] so n odd numbers will give an even number if n is even and an odd number if n is odd. There is no need to use more complex functions.

ramsey2879 said:
I don't understand the problem here. All odd numbers equal 1 mod 2, so adding n odd numbers will give you the result in mod 2 the following:

[itex]\sum \limits_{i=1}^n A\mod{2}) = n [/itex] so n odd numbers will give an even number if n is even and an odd number if n is odd. There is no need to use more complex functions.

He doesn't want to count the number of odd A, but to sum only the odds. So if
##A = (1,2,3,5,7,8,10)##, he wants an expression which evaluates 1+3+5+7.

pwsnafu said:
He doesn't want to count the number of odd A, but to sum only the odds. So if
##A = (1,2,3,5,7,8,10)##, he wants an expression which evaluates 1+3+5+7.

Oh I see. Well then how about

x = [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n a_ksin^2(a_k\pi) [/itex]

If ak is even, sin(ak[itex]\pi[/itex]) is 0; and if it's odd, sin(ak[itex]\pi[/itex]) is +/- 1.

Hmm, this looks neat, so you are going to add all the odd terms in f(x)? So you need, as a function, [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{x=a}^n f(x)\frac{1-(-1)^{f(x)}}{2}[/itex]. That looks like a really cool and useful function! I have literally filled notebooks finding sums like that, so I have a huge collection, but I've never used a power of f(x) for anything other than f(x)=c or f(x)=x. Do you mind if I play with this? The most that I can simplify this too, without any extra exploration is:
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{x=a}^n f(x)\frac{1-(-1)^{f(x)}}{2} = \sum_{x=a}^n \frac{f(x)}{2}-\sum_{x=a}^n f(x)\frac{(-1)^{f(x)}}{2}[/itex]For my own purposes, I will want to look at x=0, specifically. If I want to look at specific parts of (f(x), I will use f(x-c).

EDIT: I realized after working through this a bit that I forgot to multiply by f(x). The formulas above are corrected (I hope). However, I do have a list of solutions that relate to the correct version (where f(x)=xa for some non-negative integer a). Typically, the first part of that sum would be calculated with the Hurwitz Zeta function and the Riemann Zeta function (though I have a different way that I prefer). The second part, I believe, can be similarly computed. For cases where f(x) is a polynomial, this should not be difficult to compute, especially as it can be expressed as a linear combination of cnxn

Last edited:

1. How do you use Riemann or some function to determine if an integer is odd?

Riemann and other functions can be used by taking the integer and dividing it by 2. If the remainder is 1, then the integer is odd. If the remainder is 0, then the integer is even.

2. Can you explain the Riemann hypothesis and how it relates to finding if an integer is odd?

The Riemann hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that relates to the distribution of prime numbers. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line, which is a vertical line in the complex plane where the real part of the input is 1/2. The Riemann hypothesis can be used in conjunction with other mathematical techniques to determine if an integer is odd or even.

3. Is Riemann the only function that can be used to determine if an integer is odd?

No, there are many other functions and mathematical techniques that can be used to determine if an integer is odd. Some examples include the modulo function, the parity function, and the binary representation method.

4. Are there any limitations to using Riemann or other functions to find if an integer is odd?

While Riemann and other functions are reliable methods for determining if an integer is odd, they do have their limitations. These methods may not work for extremely large integers, as the calculations involved can become very complex and time-consuming.

5. Can Riemann or other functions be used to find if a decimal number is odd?

No, Riemann and other functions are only applicable for determining if integers are odd or even. They cannot be used for decimal numbers, as these methods rely on the concept of remainders which do not apply to decimal numbers.