Condition +-.1v from 2 wires to 0-5 for Arduino analog

In summary, you need to use an operational amplifier to amplify and level shift the signal from the pressure sensor.
zsawyer
I am toying around with connecting a 236PC 15GW pressure sensor to my arduino board.

I am supplying nearly 10 volts to the Sensor and can get +- .1V readings from some simple tests.

How do I condition these two lines that give +- .1V to range from 0-5 Volts for the Arduino analog pins.

Engineering news on Phys.org
zsawyer said:
I am supplying nearly 10 volts to the Sensor and can get +- .1V readings from some simple tests. How do I condition these two lines that give +- .1V to range from 0-5 Volts for the Arduino analog pins.
You sensor signal needs to go through a two step process; amplification (K) and level shifting (B). The output of that process should be

K × Vin(min) + B = 0
K × Vin(max) + B = 5V

The min/max values are your sensor output, so your left with the trivial task of solving this linear system for K and B.

Do you know of a circuit or device that can amplify and/or level shift a signal?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I should use an operational amplifier.

I was able to connect a General Operational Amplifier to 5volt+ and ground and got was able show a loss of voltage when negative pressure was given to the sensor. It clipped, I believe, when I tried giving the sensor a positive pressure. Purely from the Amp Voltage source, the gain was around 50 I believe. I tried cutting the supply by half, but that's below the OpAmps minimum Voltage. The operational Amplifier needs a gain of 25 but I can't have the Voltage below 5 V.

What I am figuring out is that I don't know how to do that with the two output wires from the Sensor that give both positive and negative voltages. Any help on good sources to learn from, or some documented example schematics would be helpful.

Microchip has an excellent document, but I am unsure of the reasoning for the diagram for the instrumentation amplifier on page 4. I am hesitant to put resistors on such a small voltage from my sensor and am unsure if the NTE975 chip is good for that schematic and what my Vdd should be.

I will try the schematic later this week, its getting late for me now. Any input or resources to clarify some of these concepts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
The level shift can be done by AC coupling your sensor signal into the output of a voltage divider. Then do the amplification. I'm speaking in general terms here—I haven't look at your sensor spec.

My quest has now been to understand coupling and Why AC coupling.

In my search I found a wonderful article from the MIT media lab.
http://resenv.media.mit.edu/classes/MAS836/bias.pdf .

my initial thoughts are for DC coupling, I am trying to measure the pressure and don't expect any appreciable frequencies, which AC coupling for some reason makes me think of.

Page 8 of the document talks about differential Amplifier AC and DC, the only difference seems to be caps for filtering out frequencies, which I don't think is my case. getting alte again, Ill post when I have some success

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using 2 wires for an Arduino analog input?

The use of 2 wires for an Arduino analog input allows for a more accurate measurement of the voltage being input into the system. This is because the two wires create a potential difference, or voltage drop, which can then be measured by the analog input pin.

2. How does the Arduino analog input handle a condition of +-0.1v?

The Arduino analog input has a resolution of 10 bits, meaning it can measure voltage in steps of 0.0049v. This means that a condition of +-0.1v falls well within the range of measurement for the analog input and can be accurately read by the system.

3. What is the range of voltage that can be measured by the Arduino analog input?

The Arduino analog input can measure voltages from 0-5v. However, it is important to note that the maximum voltage that can be safely applied to the analog input pin is 5v. Any voltage beyond this can potentially damage the system.

4. Can the Arduino analog input be used to measure negative voltages?

No, the Arduino analog input can only measure positive voltages from 0-5v. If you need to measure negative voltages, you can use a voltage divider circuit or an external module such as an operational amplifier to convert the negative voltage to a positive one for measurement.

5. How can I convert the analog input readings to a usable unit of measurement?

The analog input readings can be converted to a usable unit of measurement by using a formula or calculating the voltage ratio. For example, if you know the voltage range of your input signal (e.g. 0-10v), you can use the voltage ratio formula (input voltage/output voltage) to convert the readings to the appropriate unit (e.g. 0-100 for a 0-10v range).