Chemical Equilibrium, finding concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the concentration of HI in a gaseous mixture given the equilibrium concentrations of H2 and I2 and the equilibrium constant. The equation K=[HI]^2/[H2][I2] is used to solve for [HI], using the number of moles of H2 and I2 divided by the volume of the container.
parwana
H2(g) + I2(g) = 2HI(g)

T = 731K
K = 49.0

If at equilibrium 0.171 mol H2 and 1.571 mol I2 are present in a 1.04 L vessel, what is the concentration of HI in the gaseous mixture in moles/liter ?

Ok I tried doing this question by setting up a mole ratio first and then finding moles for HI, but I don't get it. HELP.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So we know that

[tex]K=\frac{[HI]^{2}}{[H_{2}][I_{2}]}[/tex]
that is
[tex]49=\frac{[HI]^{2}}{[H_{2}][I_{2}]}[/tex]

now for the concentrations of H2 and I2, we take the number of moles and divide by 1.04, the size of the container.

Then we can put these two numbers in for

and [I2] in the above equation and solve for the concentration of HI.

hope it helped

ChemRookie had a similar question in the high school HW section, of which I attempted an answer.

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in concentrations.

2. How is chemical equilibrium reached?

Chemical equilibrium is reached when the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates. This can happen when the reactants are consumed and converted to products, or when the products react and form reactants. When the concentrations of reactants and products reach a constant value, equilibrium is achieved.

3. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that can affect chemical equilibrium include temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in any of these factors can shift the equilibrium position and alter the concentrations of reactants and products.

4. How can the equilibrium constant be used to find concentrations?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a mathematical expression that relates the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. By knowing the value of K and the concentrations of some components, you can solve for the unknown concentrations using an ICE (Initial-Change-Equilibrium) table.

5. What is Le Chatelier's principle and how does it relate to chemical equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in a way that minimizes the effect of the stress. In terms of chemical equilibrium, this means that if the concentrations of reactants or products are changed, the equilibrium will shift in the direction that reduces the change in concentration. This principle can be used to predict how a system will respond to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration.