What is a c-number and how is it used in quantum mechanics?

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
In summary, The term "c-number" is often used to refer to classical numbers, as opposed to quantum numbers or operators, in the context of quantum mechanics. It was introduced by Dirac to distinguish between real or complex numbers and operators. However, it is not commonly used anymore and has been replaced by more specific terminology.
kakarukeys
I came across the word "c-number" several times. At first I thought it was an abbreviation of "complex number", but I found it is not true.

One book says 3D dirac delta function evaluated at zero vector is an infinite c-number. What does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
c is normally constant, lightspeed (celeritas), complex number...

marlon

Yikes. What does that infer about alphabetically challenged letters like g and h?

Chronos said:
Yikes. What does that infer about alphabetically challenged letters like g and h?
The poor letters, I feel sorry for them; h needs a crutch in the form of a bar in order to be useful for physicists..

You are beyond my help, arildno :rofl:

In which field is your c-number in? C-number is used in computational analysis to denote the number of basic steps needed to perform an algorithm or calculation.

kakarukeys said:
I came across the word "c-number" several times. At first I thought it was an abbreviation of "complex number", but I found it is not true.

One book says 3D dirac delta function evaluated at zero vector is an infinite c-number. What does it mean?
Yes, I read something similar in Peskin & Schröder's "Introduction to QFT". I think this is an old nomenclature used by Dirac to distinguish between real or complex numbers (c-numbers or classical numbers) and operators (q-numbers or quantum numbers) in quantum mechanics.

Just following up ... I came across the same thing in a book on quantum optics. In this context at least, the c-number is the classical number corresponding to a quantity (position, say) and the q-number (quantum number) is the corresponding operator for that quantity i.e. for position: x is the c-number for \hat{x}. I think it was used mainly for comparing classical and quantum pictures of the same variable with respect to the correspondence principle but I don't think many people use it anymore.

1) What is a c-number?

A c-number stands for a complex number, which is a number that has both a real and imaginary component. It is often represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2) How is a c-number different from a regular number?

A c-number is different from a regular number because it has both a real and imaginary component, while a regular number only has a real component. C-numbers are commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

3) What is the significance of the letter "c" in c-number?

The letter "c" in c-number stands for "complex." This is because c-numbers are used to represent complex quantities that have both a real and imaginary component.

4) Can c-numbers be used in everyday math?

Yes, c-numbers can be used in everyday math, but they are primarily used in more advanced fields such as physics and engineering. In everyday math, regular numbers are sufficient for most calculations.

5) How are c-numbers used in science?

C-numbers are used in science to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as in vector calculations. They are also used in fields such as quantum mechanics to represent physical quantities such as energy and momentum. C-numbers are essential in understanding and solving complex problems in science.