Need help with electromagnetics

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a microwave structure problem involving a grounded outside tube and a center conductor at 10V. They have searched through multiple resources with no success and are asking for assistance. They describe the structure and provide dimensions, and mention using the Finite Element Method to solve for voltage. They mention a book on the subject and ask for guidance on how to start the problem. In the end, they state that they were able to solve the problem using Excel and thank the person for their comment, mentioning a different textbook they are currently using.
vptran84
Hi,

I was given this problem, but i just don't know where to start, i looked through numerous websites, and 3 books as reference, but i can't find anything that is related to this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

here is the problem:

A microwave structure has the cross section shown in the figure below. The
outside tube is grounded and the center conductor is at V = 10V. Use the finite element method to solve for the voltage V in the space between the conductors.(Assume that the length is very long.) There is a picture that goes with this problem, but i don't know how to load it. So I am going to describe it. There is a small square inside a rectangle. the small square is the center conductor, and the rectangle represents the outside tube that is grounded. the length and width of the small square inside is A=2mm, and the width of the outside rectangle is B=8mm, and the length of the outside rectangle is C=10mm.

I really need help on how to start this problem, please help. thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have an example of Maxwell's equations (integral form for FE) for the geometry of which you describe?

Try to find a book like this - Volakis, J. L., Chatterjee, A. and Kempel, L. C.
Finite Element Method for Electromagnetics: Antennas, Microwave Circuits, and Scattering Applications
IEEE Press and Oxford University Press, New York, 1998, 368 pp.

Assign the appropriate potential/charge to the small square block.

Do you have a text on electromagnetics or microwave cavities/magnetrons?

hi,

i figured out how to do this problem using excel...it only took me 2 hours LOL, but i finally figured it out.

Thank you for your comment...i will try to look for the particular book...the only textbook that I am using rite now is Fundamentals of Engineering Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng.

What are the basic principles of electromagnetics?

The basic principles of electromagnetics involve the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, which are produced by charged particles and currents. These fields can interact with each other, resulting in the production of electromagnetic waves.

What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator in relation to electromagnetics?

In electromagnetics, a conductor is a material that allows electric current to flow through it, while an insulator is a material that does not allow current to pass through it. This is important because the flow of current is necessary for the production of magnetic fields.

How does electromagnetism play a role in everyday life?

Electromagnetism is present in many aspects of our daily lives, including electricity, magnetism, and the production of light. It is responsible for powering our homes and electronic devices, as well as the functioning of motors and generators.

What is the difference between static and dynamic electromagnetic fields?

Static electromagnetic fields do not change over time, while dynamic electromagnetic fields are constantly changing. Static fields are typically produced by stationary charges, while dynamic fields are produced by changing electric or magnetic fields.

How can I apply the principles of electromagnetics to solve real-world problems?

The principles of electromagnetics can be applied to various fields such as telecommunications, power generation, and medical imaging. By understanding how electric and magnetic fields interact, one can design and create solutions for complex problems in these and other industries.