Why does a=g*sin(theta) on an inclined plane

In summary: So, if you want to find the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, you can use the following equation: a=g*sinθ
Jow
I understand the derivation that on an inclined plane of angle θ, the acceleration of the object on the plane, parallel to the plane, is a=g*sinθ. However, I was just thinking about it, and should it not be a=g/sinθ ?

I got this because sinθ = g/a. θ is the angle between the ramp and the earth, g is the acceleration straight downwards (the opposite side from θ) and a is the hypotenuse of the triangle.
Rearranging, a=g/sinθ.

I feel like something must be wrong, but I can't see what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
When g is resolved into components, it represents the hypotenuse of the triangle.

The problem is the two formulas you have created (a=g/sinx and a=gsinx), use different angles. The first formula you created uses the angle between the ramp and the earth. The second one uses the angle between the vertical axis and the direction of acceleration. So both formulas are correct but they should be written as a=g/sinx and a=gsiny where y=90-x

TysonM8 said:
The problem is the two formulas you have created (a=g/sinx and a=gsinx), use different angles. The first formula you created uses the angle between the ramp and the earth. The second one uses the angle between the vertical axis and the direction of acceleration. So both formulas are correct but they should be written as a=g/sinx and a=gsiny where y=90-x
This is clearly incorrect. If you substitute y = 90-x into the second equation, you get a=g cosx. The acceleration cannot simultaneously be equal to g/sinx and gcos x, since cosx≠1/sinx. In fact, both these equations are wrong. The acceleration (in the absence of friction) is a=gsinx.

Chet

Jow said:
I got this because sinθ = g/a. θ is the angle between the ramp and the earth, g is the acceleration straight downwards (the opposite side from θ) and a is the hypotenuse of the triangle.
Rearranging, a=g/sinθ.

I feel like something must be wrong, but I can't see what it is.
g is not opposite to the angle theta.
It may be that you are mixing triangles. The triangle made by the components of the accelerations with the triangle made by the inclined planer itself.
Draw a diagram of the forces (or accelerations) and you will see.

Likes Ritika Rana
Here's a trick: Whenever a vector is resolved into orthogonal components, the vector is always the hypotenuse of the triangle.

Why does a=g*sin(theta) on an inclined plane?

There are several reasons why a=g*sin(theta) is the equation for acceleration on an inclined plane:

What is the significance of "g" in the equation a=g*sin(theta)?

The "g" in the equation represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

Why is "theta" used in the equation a=g*sin(theta)?

"Theta" represents the angle of inclination of the plane, which affects the magnitude and direction of the acceleration.

How does the equation a=g*sin(theta) apply to objects on an inclined plane?

The equation shows how the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of inclination and the acceleration due to gravity.

Can the equation a=g*sin(theta) be used for any angle of inclination?

Yes, the equation is valid for any angle of inclination, as long as the acceleration due to gravity remains constant.