An easier Alternative to Clayden organic chemistry?

In summary, the author finds the first chapters of Clayden Organic Chemistry to be lacking in explanation and figures. He is unsure if he will be able to understand the rest of the book after reading these chapters.
christian0710
Hi,
I've red the first 4 chapters in Clayden Organic chemistry, and I got to admit I find the first chapters on NMR and Orbital theory lacking in explanation and figures. I don't feel like i have a clear understanding of the concept after reading these chapters because they seem to assume knowledge and not give direct methods (explaining the logic of how to work out the problems), so I'm wondering, Will it keep being like this the next many chapters? Or is it just the beginning that's a bit rough?

I'm afraid that If i can't understand the molecular Orbital theory, then I won't understand the rest of the book, since bonding is explained from Hybridization and molecular orbital.
I've considered David Kleins Organic chemistry, and perhaps Chemistry³: Introducing Inorganic, Organic, and Physical Chemistry

How do my suggestions sound? Any other suggestions? I'm first year into university studying nutrition but wan't to understand organic chemistry better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lok said:
Hi christian,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYEApgJkh0&list=PL3F629F73640F831D

While I am not a chemist I found these introductory courses quite good to get an idea of where chemistry got to. Molecular Orbital Theory is thoroughly explained with lots of examples.

Thank you. Did you read a textbook for this course? Or do his explanations suffice for understanding his points?

The books I've read are outdated by more than 30 years and none of the above mentioned, and while they scratched the surface on MOT they were not detailed about it.

I did try some current PDF versions, none memorable.
Lately I prefer watching courses over books as they are usually better structured and they insist o repeating the recurring stuff everywhere it is needed. And I can listen to them while working on another screen.

And yes the explanations, experiments, physical proofs and demonstrations suffice IMO for understanding the fundamentals of MO. For more you can go back to the textbook and exercise the predictive part of MOT.

I did follow the Courses only until Functional groups (20 or so courses) as the Physics part was more interesting to me than outright chemistry (which I will probably never really use).

I know it is not ideal and you cannot ask questions but it is quite good.

I understand your concerns about the level of difficulty in understanding the concepts presented in Clayden Organic Chemistry. It is important to have a solid understanding of these fundamental concepts in order to fully grasp the rest of the book and the subject as a whole.

In terms of alternative resources, I would recommend seeking out additional textbooks or online resources that cater to your specific learning style. Some textbooks may have a more detailed explanation of the concepts or may present them in a different way that may be easier for you to understand. Online resources such as videos or interactive tutorials can also be helpful in reinforcing your understanding of the material.

I would also suggest seeking out a study group or meeting with a tutor who can help clarify any confusion and provide additional explanations. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for further guidance and clarification.

Remember, organic chemistry can be challenging, but with dedication and perseverance, you can develop a strong understanding of the subject. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is "An Easier Alternative to Clayden Organic Chemistry"?

"An Easier Alternative to Clayden Organic Chemistry" is a book written by Dr. Jonathan Clayden, which offers a simpler approach to learning organic chemistry compared to traditional textbooks.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The book is designed for students who are studying organic chemistry at the undergraduate level, but can also be helpful for high school students or self-learners who are interested in the subject.

3. What makes this book different from other organic chemistry textbooks?

This book focuses on a conceptual understanding of organic chemistry rather than memorization of reactions and mechanisms. It also uses real-life examples and clear explanations to make the subject more accessible.

4. Can this book be used as a replacement for traditional textbooks?

While this book can be used as the main textbook for organic chemistry courses, it is recommended to consult other resources for additional practice problems and to ensure complete coverage of the topic.

5. Is this book suitable for students with no background in chemistry?

While some basic knowledge of chemistry is helpful, this book does not assume any prior knowledge of the subject. It starts with the fundamentals and gradually builds up to more complex topics, making it accessible for beginners.