Good undergraduate books on applied maths

In summary, some recommended books for a math undergraduate looking for introductory to intermediate level content in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, classical mechanics, and quantum mechanics are: G.K. Batchelor's "Introduction to Fluid Dynamics," D.J. Tritton's "Physical Fluid Dynamics," R. Feynman's "The Feynman Lectures" vol. 1 for classical mechanics, Purcell's "Berkeley Physics Series Vol. 2" for electricity and magnetism, and Cohen-Tannoudji's "Quantum Mechanics" for quantum mechanics. These books also include a good amount of examples and have graphs and diagrams. A helpful link for finding more resources is provided by interhacker.
mcheung4
hi I'm a math undergraduate and looking for books about fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. introductory to intermediate level. would prefer books with lots of examples and include good amount of graphs and diagrams. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluid Dynamics:
  • G.K. Batchelor: Introduction to Fluid Dynamics
  • D.J. Tritton: Physical Fluid Dynamics

Classical Mechanics:
  • Introductory: The Feynman Lectures, vol 1.
  • R. Resnick and D. Halliday: Physics, vol 1, 4th Ed., 1993
  • Keith Symon: Mechanics, 3rd ed., 1971

Electricity & Magnetism:
  • Purcell: Berkeley Physics Series Vol 2.
  • Reitz, Milford and Christy: Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory 4th ed., 1992
  • Feynman: The Feynman Lectures, Vol. 2
  • Resnick and Halliday: Physics, vol 2, 4th ed., 1993

Quantum Mechanics:
  • Cohen-Tannoudji: Quantum Mechanics I & II&, 1977.
  • Liboff: Introductory Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed., 1992
  • Cohen-Tannoudji: Quantum Mechanics I & II&, 1977.
  • Messiah: Quantum Mechanics, 1961
  • Feynman: The Feynman Lectures, Vol. 3

Note: I got these from here. Good luck. :smile:

thanks interhacker! the link is very helpful!

What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is the branch of mathematics that involves the application of mathematical principles to real-world problems, such as in physics, engineering, finance, and computer science.

What are some good undergraduate books on applied maths?

Some popular undergraduate books on applied maths include "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists" by Louis A. Pipes and Lawrence R. Harvill, "Introduction to Applied Mathematics" by Gilbert Strang, and "Applied Mathematics for the Managerial, Life, and Social Sciences" by Soo Tan.

What are the key topics covered in applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics covers a wide range of topics, including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and optimization.

How can I improve my understanding of applied mathematics?

To improve your understanding of applied mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It can also be helpful to work on real-world applications of the principles learned in class.

Are there any online resources for learning applied mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning applied mathematics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. It is also helpful to follow math blogs and join online communities to discuss and learn from others interested in applied mathematics.