DC Motor Problem - Magnetic Field Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for calculating the magnetic field generated by a horse-shoe shaped solenoid used as a permanent magnet in a DC motor. The calculation is vital for predicting the motor's angular speed, but the speaker is unsure if it can be done without the magnetic field value. The formula for calculating the magnetic field is given, but it is pointed out that the value of [mu]r depends on the core material and its magnetization. Finally, the speaker shares that their motor spun at 900rpm, which was 200rpm slower than the winner.
Shahil
I really need help in calculating the magnetic field generated by a horse-shoe shaped solenoid which is being used as a permanent magnet in a DC motor.

The calculation is VITAL (well, I think so) as I need it to be able to predict the angular speed (in revs per minute) of my motor.

If there is sa way to do the prediction without this, I would gratly appreciate it.

FYI - We are being source a 10 volt, 2 amp current to make the motor spin. I need help ASAP as if my motor doesn't work, I fail this subject at University.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field in a long solenoid is
H = IN/l, where
I is current,
N is number of turns,
l is length of solenoid.
I think you can use this, even though the solenoid is not straight.

The B field is
B = [mu]0[mu]rH,
where [mu]0 = 1.2566 * 10-6 Vs/Am.

[mu]r depends on your core material. Furthermore, it depends on how strongly the material is magnetized. OK, if you use a DC of 2 Amps, I should suspect that the core is always fully magnetized. At least in the stator. For iron, you can assume a maximum value of 5500. But be careful here, since other materials can have very different values of [mu]r.

I think the least risky method is, to measure B directly with a Hall probe.

Thanks!

thanks for the help on this problem. Your calculations made sense BUT (ironically and I think I got what I deserved 'coz I started researching so late) our prof gave us the exact formaula to use in our calculations!

w = (V - Ir) / k * magnetic flux

w = angular speed
V = voltage
I = current
r = resistance
k = constant (taking account friction etc.)
(v - Ir) = back EMF induced by motor

Wen enquired about the magnetic field (B), he said it's not needed!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, FYI my motor spun at 900rpm, which was 200rpm slower than the winner.

thanks anyway:smile:

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field in a DC motor?

To calculate the magnetic field in a DC motor, you will need to know the current flowing through the coils, the number of turns in the coils, and the length of the coil. The formula for calculating the magnetic field is B = μ0 * N * I / L, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is a constant, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and L is the length of the coil.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the magnetic field in a DC motor?

Calculating the magnetic field in a DC motor is important because it helps determine the torque and speed of the motor. The magnetic field is responsible for creating the force that drives the rotation of the motor, so by calculating it, you can understand the performance of the motor.

3. How does the magnetic field affect the performance of a DC motor?

The magnetic field plays a crucial role in the performance of a DC motor. It is responsible for creating the force that drives the rotation of the motor. A stronger magnetic field will result in a higher torque and faster speed of the motor. However, too strong of a magnetic field can also cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the coils.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of magnetic field calculations in a DC motor?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of magnetic field calculations in a DC motor. These include variations in the material properties of the motor, such as the permeability and conductivity of the coils and the core material, as well as external factors like temperature and vibration. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating the magnetic field for accurate results.

5. How can I troubleshoot a DC motor problem related to magnetic field calculation?

If you are experiencing issues with your DC motor, it is possible that there may be a problem with the magnetic field calculations. To troubleshoot this, you can check the input parameters used in the calculation, such as the current, number of turns, and length of the coil, to ensure they are correct. You can also perform additional tests to verify the accuracy of the calculations, such as measuring the torque and speed of the motor and comparing them to the expected values.