Common Physics & Calculus Textbooks for High Schools

In summary, there are two recommended textbooks for high school level physics and calculus: "Introductory Physics" and "Calculus" by Amazon. These books are suitable for beginners and do not require any prerequisites. It is also recommended to watch the series "The Mechanical Universe" on YouTube or online, which uses a lot of math and may inspire a career change.
KenBakerMN
What are some of the physics and calculus textbooks in common use in American high schools today?

I have this fantasy that I want to finish out my career as a H.S teacher rather than an aging cube jockey. I'm pretty sure I understand the material at the high school level, or at least can bring it back, but I should read some actual textbooks to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
High school books are all about memorization, they are an absolute joke and awfully dangerous stuff if taken too seriously - move on to college level textbooks and never look back.

This is a great intro physics book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321501470/?tag=pfamazon01-20
You should just plow into it straight away, it'll motivate all the trigonometry and calculus that you need as you come to it, and you can refer to this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321587995/?tag=pfamazon01-20
if you get stuck or would like more background or just want to study it.

These, or their equivalents are both more or less the most basic calculus and physics books that go from the beginning, & do not really assume prerequisites (or develop them as needed). Amazon reviews can be a helpful guide.

Before doing any of this though, or concurrently, I'd recommend you watch (or work through with pen and paper, because it uses a lot of math, which it develops) the mechanical universe (all on youtube or online)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe

Here's a good sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFFZhESITag

It'll probably be the final straw in encouraging you to quit your job and go back to college :wink: Keep me updated if you get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolb, that's good stuff. Thanks for the tips.

1. What are some examples of common physics and calculus textbooks used in high schools?

Some examples of common physics and calculus textbooks used in high schools include "Physics: Principles and Problems" by Paul W. Zitzewitz, "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Ross L. Finney and Franklin D. Demana, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

2. What topics are typically covered in these textbooks?

These textbooks cover a wide range of topics, including kinematics, forces, energy, waves, calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals, and applications of calculus in physics, such as motion and forces.

3. How are these textbooks typically structured?

These textbooks are usually divided into chapters that cover specific topics, with each chapter including explanations of key concepts, examples, and practice problems. They also often include review sections and practice tests to help students prepare for exams.

4. Are these textbooks suitable for all levels of high school students?

These textbooks are generally designed for high school students in advanced math and science courses, such as honors or AP classes. They may be too advanced for students in lower level courses or those who have not yet completed prerequisite math courses.

5. Can these textbooks be used for self-study?

While these textbooks are primarily used in classroom settings, they can also be used for self-study by motivated and dedicated students. However, it may be helpful to have a teacher or tutor available for guidance and clarification of difficult concepts.