How Do You Calculate Resultant Displacement for Two Interfering Waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses two displacement waves with the same period and how to calculate the resultant displacement at a given time. The attempt at solving the problem involves adding the two wave functions, but it is pointed out that they are out of phase. The suggestion is made to resolve the cosine terms and use the superposition principle to find the resultant displacement.
roam

Homework Statement

Two displacement waves with the same period T = 3.0 s are described mathematically by:

y1 = (10.0 m) cos[2πt/T + π]
y2 = (9.0 m) cos[2πt/T + 2π]

What is the resultant displacement at time t = 6.0 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding up

y1 + y2 = 19 cos [2πt/T + 3π]

But the answer I get is wrong. I also tried the following formula from my texybook which is supposed to give the resultant of two traveling sinusoidal waves:

[tex]y=2Acos \left( \frac{\phi}{2} \right) sin \left( kx-\omega t + \frac{\phi}{2} \right)[/tex]

I don't know what the phase constant (φ) is, so I assume it is zero since the waves are in phase, then cos(φ/2)=cos(0)=1.

When I plug in the numbers the formula then becomes

y=6sin(3π+2π6/3)

Again, this produces the wrong answer, the correct answer should be -1.0 m. What's wrong with my calculations? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

roam said:

Homework Statement

Two displacement waves with the same period T = 3.0 s are described mathematically by:

y1 = (10.0 m) cos[2πt/T + π]
y2 = (9.0 m) cos[2πt/T + 2π]

What is the resultant displacement at time t = 6.0 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding up

y1 + y2 = 19 cos [2πt/T + 3π]

:

You can not do that! Try to think instead of plugging into equations you do not understand.

Resolve the cosine terms. What is the relation between cos(x) and cos(x+2π)? between cos(x) and cos(x+π)?

ehild

ehild said:
You can not do that! Try to think instead of plugging into equations you do not understand.

Resolve the cosine terms. What is the relation between cos(x) and cos(x+2π)? between cos(x) and cos(x+π)?

ehild

Does this mean that they are out of phase? I think if one wave has phase constant φ=(2N)π and the other wave has φ=(2N+1)π, where N is any integer, then the two waves are not in phase, and therefore destructive interference occurs.

What do you mean by "resolving" the cosine terms? :rolleyes:

The "superposition principal" states that the resultant value of the wave functions of the wave function at any point is the algebraic sum of the values of the wave functions of the individual waves. This is what I was trying to do, in my problem do I need to somehow subtract thw two given wave functions?

roam said:
What do you mean by "resolving" the cosine terms? :rolleyes:

Well, my English is poor, especially in maths expressions. I meant to express both cos[2πt/T + π] and cos[2πt/T + 2π] with cos (2πt/T). Think of the definition of the cosine function.

And you are right, y1 and y2 are out of phase.

If you still do not get it, just plug in 6.0 s for t, calculate both y1 and y2 and add them.

ehild

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. In this case, it seems that the incorrect answer may be due to a misunderstanding of the concept of phase and how it relates to the displacement waves. The phase constant, φ, represents the initial position of the wave, and in this case, it is not zero since the waves have different initial positions. Therefore, the correct formula to use would be y = 2Acos(φ/2)sin(kx-ωt+φ/2). By plugging in the given values, the correct answer of -1.0 m can be obtained. It is also important to carefully check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the waves in order to better understand the problem and approach it more accurately.

What is the superposition problem?

The superposition problem is a concept in quantum mechanics where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed or measured, at which point it collapses into a single state.

Why is the superposition problem important?

The superposition problem is important because it helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles and make accurate predictions about their behavior. It also plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors.

What is the difference between superposition and entanglement?

Superposition refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states at once, while entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances.

How does the superposition problem challenge our understanding of reality?

The superposition problem challenges our understanding of reality because it goes against our classical understanding of how the world works. In classical physics, objects can only exist in one state at a time, whereas in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

What are some potential applications of the superposition problem?

The superposition problem has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It also has implications for improving our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level and developing new technologies in the future.