Curvilinear Motion Homework: Normal & Tangential Accel. & Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a package being dropped from a plane flying with a constant horizontal velocity of 150 ft/s. The normal and tangential components of acceleration, as well as the radius of curvature of the path of motion, are determined at the moment of release and just before the package strikes the ground. The equations used include the kinematic equations and the equation for radius of curvature. The final values obtained are 5.769 ft/s^2 for the normal acceleration, and 698.758 ft for the radius of curvature.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

A package is dropped from the plane which is flying with a constant horizontal velocity of va=150 ft/s. Determine the normal and tangential components of acceleration, and the radius of curvature of the path of motion (a) at the moment the package is released at A, (b) just before the package strikes the ground at B.

317a340.png

Homework Equations

[tex]s = s_{o} + v_{o}t + (1/2)(a_{t})_{c}t^{2}[/tex]
[tex]v = v_{o} + (a_{t})_{c} t[/tex]
[tex]v^{2} = (vo)^{2} + 2(a_{t})_{c} (s - s_{o})[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{1 + ((\frac{dy}{dx})^{2})^{3/2}}{|d^{2}y/dx^{2}|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x = 0 + (150ft/s)t + 0[/tex]

[tex]x =150t[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{x}{150}[/tex]

[tex]y = 0 + 0 + (1/2)(-32.2ft/s^{2})t^{2}[/tex]

[tex]y = (-16.1ft/s^{2})t^{2}[/tex]

[tex]y = (-16.1ft/s^{2})(\frac{x}{150})^{2}[/tex]

[tex]y = -0.000716x^{2}[/tex] This is the equation of the path.

[tex]dy/dx = -0.00143x[/tex]

[tex]d^{2}y/dx^{2} = -0.00143[/tex]

[tex]x = 1023.785ft[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{1 + ((\frac{dy}{dx})^{2})^{3/2}}{|d^{2}y/dx^{2}|}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{1 + (((-0.00143)(1023.785 ft))^{2})^{3/2}}{|-0.00143|}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = 3900.339ft[/tex] I am assuming this is the [tex]\rho[/tex] for (b).

I am unsure how to get the [tex]\rho[/tex] for (a).

The [tex]a_{t}[/tex] I think for (a) is 0 because the velocity in the horizontal is constant. I am unsure the [tex]a_{n}[/tex] because I need [tex]\rho[/tex].

I don't understand how to get [tex]a_{t}[/tex] and [tex]a_{n}[/tex] just before it strikes the ground because I don't have a time, do I just assume 1 second before hitting the ground?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice work! :cool:

As soon as the package is released, you know the speed and you know that the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the velocity, i.e. it is centripetal. So ...

[tex]a_{n}[/tex] at the moment the package is released

[tex]a_{n} = \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = \frac{(150ft/s)^{2}}{3900.339ft}[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = 5.769 ft/s^{2}[/tex]

3900 ft/s is the radius of curvature for (b) not (a). When the package is released you know the centripetal acceleration, you don't need to calculate it. Use the known value to find the radius of curvature.

Is it gravity?:

[tex]a_{n} = \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]32.2ft/s^{2} = \frac{(150ft/s)^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]32.2ft/s^{2} = \frac{(150ft/s)^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{(150ft/s)^{2}}{32.2ft/s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = 698.758 ft[/tex]

Yes it is. Instantaneously at the point of release the package is going around in a circle and the acceleration of gravity is perpendicular to the velocity. You are done.

Ok thanks.

1. What is curvilinear motion?

Curvilinear motion is the motion of an object along a curved path, where the object's velocity and acceleration are constantly changing due to the changing direction of its motion.

2. What is normal acceleration in curvilinear motion?

Normal acceleration in curvilinear motion refers to the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the object's velocity. It is responsible for changing the direction of the object's motion.

3. What is tangential acceleration in curvilinear motion?

Tangential acceleration in curvilinear motion refers to the component of acceleration that is parallel to the object's velocity. It is responsible for changing the speed of the object's motion.

4. How do you calculate the radius of curvature in curvilinear motion?

The radius of curvature in curvilinear motion can be calculated using the formula: r = v2 / an, where v is the object's speed and an is the normal acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between normal and tangential acceleration in curvilinear motion?

In curvilinear motion, the magnitudes of normal and tangential acceleration are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other decreases. Additionally, the sum of their squares is equal to the total acceleration of the object in curvilinear motion.