Science Trivia Challenge - 8 June 1 PM CST

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, there will be a science trivia challenge held this Sunday, June 8 at 1 PM CST. The challenge will consist of 25 questions covering a variety of scientific knowledge and everyone is welcome to participate. The rules are simple and the first person to answer a question correctly will receive 1 point. Googling the answer is allowed and the winner will be the person with the most points. Additionally, the final episode of Cosmos: A Space-time Odyssey will also be released on this day. The trivia challenge will start at 1 PM CST and scores will be announced at the end. There will be a variety of questions, including ones about Greek letters, metals, solar system objects, and famous scientists. The winner of this week
Was there a thread where you submitted answers or were they supposed to be PM'd to Micromass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matterwave said:
Was there a thread where you submitted answers or were they supposed to be PM'd to Micromass?

It happened in the chatroom! I notice I forgot to add the answers to my questions... Dumb me... Let me fix that.

There's a chat room? ._.

Matterwave said:
There's a chat room? ._.

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I've heard that there's a fungus that lives underground and spreads across like 3 states...I vaguely remember reading this on cracked...if true, wouldn't that be much larger than any tree in terms of volume?

I posted about the fungus, I was ignored, but I do believe the fungus is larger.

The largest living fungus may be a honey fungus[201] of the species Armillaria ostoyae.[202] A mushroom of this type in the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon, U.S. was found to be the largest fungal colony in the world, spanning 8.9 km² (2,200 acres) of area.[203][204] This organism is estimated to be 2400 years old. The fungus was written about in the April 2003 issue of the Canadian Journal of Forest Research. While an accurate estimate has not been made, the total weight of the colony may be as much as 605 tons[vague]. If this colony is considered a single organism, then it is the largest known organism in the world by area, and rivals the aspen grove "Pando" as the known organism with the highest living biomass. It is not known, however, whether it is a single organism with all parts of the mycelium connected.[204]
It seems to be an issue of whether it is truly a single organism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_organisms#Fungi

Somebody has some 'splainin' to do...