New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary: In it, a wealthy young man named Jeeves is employed by the Woosters to solve a problem. The problem is that the young man has seven sisters. How does Jeeves solve the problem?He employs the method of the noble seven sisters.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Sports-Trivia-Quiz.jpg

I will be hosting trivia challenge this sunday 29 june at 1 PM CST**

There will be 25 questions, about all kinds of general knowledge.

Everybody is welcome!

** Time in different time zones: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Trivia+Challenge&iso=20140629T20&p1=48

Score of previous trivia challenges:
Jonathan Scott - 2 wins
interhacker - 1 win
trollcast - 1 win

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
I will be hosting trivia challenge this sunday 29 june at 1 PM CST

I'll bet it'll be difficult. But I'm going to try a hand in this.

I can't type fast, so I can't compete with the googlers, but the contests are fun to just watch.

Evo said:
I can't type fast, so I can't compete with the googlers, but the contests are fun to just watch.

Come on, you need to join in as well!

Don't forget, trivia tomorrow!

Woot!

Trivia will be starting in 3 hours!

Starting in exactly 1 hour!

micromass said:
Starting in exactly 1 hour!

Yay!

I might actually show up this time.

Trivia!

ps. Someone pm Jonathan Scott that there's a string quartet scheduled at the McDonalds down the street in about 45 minutes, and Big Macs & Fries are half off. :tongue:

Trivia in 5 minutes, join chat now!

These were the questions:

QUESTION 1 for 1 point:
This Greek letter is intimately connected to one of the major unsolved problems in mathematics. The problem was first considered by Riemann and involves roots of a function. Solving this problem could earn you a million dollars. Which Greek letter am I talking about?

zeta

QUESTION 2 for 1 + i points:
The Mount Everest is the mountain which rises out the most above sea level. The world's tallest mountain with respect to the surrounding terrain is the Mauna Kea. But what is the mount Chimborazo in Ecuador famous for?

Farthest point from Earth's center

QUESTION 3 for i points:
The answer to this question is the longest mountain range in Africa. It is approximately 2400 kilometers long. The highest peak is Jbel Toubkal with 4167m. The mountain range is named after one of the titans who defied Zeus and was punished for this.

Atlas

QUESTION 4 for 2i points:
This group consists of seven sisters who are the daughters of Atlas and a sea-nymph and are born on Mount Cyllene in Greece. In reality, they do not consist of 7 members, but of over 1000. Most of the members are a distance of only 8 light years across. They can be seen from the northern and southern hemisphere. What is this group that Messier denoted as M45?

Pleiades

QUESTION 5 for 1 + 2i points:
What is the fourth brightest star of the Pleiades? It is also a race of beings in the Middle-Earth writings of JRR Tolkien. Gandalf and Sauron are examples of such beings.

Maia

QUESTION 6 for 2 + 2i points:
Like the Mayans, the Inca's were also a large precolumbian civilization. Where did the Inca's believe that the world was created? The site is thought to have been unimaginably wondrous. The renomated scholar G. Tsoukalos has some quite controversial ideas about this site.

Puma Punku

QUESTION 7 for 2 + i points:
What does a domestic cat often do before sleeping? There are many theories for why this happens. One is that the newborn cat does it to stimulate milk secretion with her mother.

kneading

QUESTION 8 for 2 points:
Find the opposite of the words "always coming from take me down". First person to link the relevant video wins

QUESTION 9 for 3 points:
This word means "burning ones" and is a synonym for serpents in the Hebrew bible. In christianity however, they are a class of six-winged angels that fly around the throne of God crying "holy, holy, holy". The are the highest choir of angelic hierarchy.

Seraphim

QUESTION 10 for 3 + i points:
St Peter was condemnded to death by the Romans, lead by Emperor Nero. However, he found himself unworthy of dying in the same way as Christ. In what way did St. Peter die? This can still be seen in some of the symbolisms of the papacy.

crucified head down

QUESTION 11 for 3 + 2i points:
The number of the beast is 666. In mathematics, it is known that it is an abundant number. Another number important in the bible is 7. In marhematics, it is known that 7 is a deficient number. But what other type of number is there?

Perfect number

QUESTION 12 for 3+3i points:
This number is used in the Fibonacci sequence, in the geometry of the regular pentagon and in finding the cosine of pi/5. It is equal to sqrt(1+ sqrt(1+ sqrt(1+ ...))). But what is the atomic number associated to this number?

QUESTION 13 for 2 + 3i points:
In the year 1979, this country was given limited autonomy. The capital of this country is Nuuk. Anybody traveling to this country because of its name will be disappointed. Which country am I talking about?

Greenland

QUESTION 14 for 1 + 3i points:
One of the wittiest civilizations were probably the Spartans. After invading Greece and receiving the submission of the other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I win this way, you will be slaves forever". What was the reply of the Spartans? Neither Philip nor his son Alexander the Great subsequently attempted to capture the city.

If

QUESTION 15 for 3i points:
Spartans weren't the only witty people in history. During the December 1944 Battle of Bastogne, the 101st Airborne around Bastogne was surrounded by enemy forces. The Germans sent the Americans a party of envoys with an ultimatum: surrender or face "certain annihilation". What did General Anthony McAuliffe reply which perplexed the German officer?

Nuts!

QUESTION 16 for 1 - i points:
Wolfgang Pauli was a famous physicist. He won the Nobel prize for the exclusion principle. But for what witticism is he also famous?

Not even wrong

QUESTION 17 for -1 + i points:
What do people suffering from Barophobia fear?

Gravity

QUESTION 18 for -2 + 4i points:
A paraphilia is a sexual interest in objects, situations or individuals that are highly atypical. For example, formicophiliacs like bugs crawling on them, while macraphiliacs are attracted to giants. But what action would an apotemnophiliac like to perform?

Amputating one of his limbs

QUESTION 19 for 2 - 4i points:
Evo is browsing PF and sees 100 members violating the rules, but all violations are different. She decides to give each member a personalized infraction. However, Evo's memory is not working well and she soon forgets which member should get which infraction. Hence she decides to send each infraction to a random person of the 100. How many people do you expect to get the correct infraction? Everybody has 1 minute time to guess 3 numbers, the person who is closest and fastest gets the points.

QUESTION 20 for 5i points:
The latin word for right is "dexter" and has many favorably meanings including "skillful, fortunaty". The Latin word for left has much less favorably meanings. What is it?

Sinister

QUESTION 21 for 5 + 5i points:
The starters on "Pokemon Red and Blue" are Charmander, Squirtle and?

Bulbasaur

Question 22 for 5 points:
Henry Tandey was a British soldier in World War I. He received the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy. But what did Henry Tandey regret for most of his life?

Not killing Hitler

QUESTION 23 for e^(2*pi*i) point:
What is the fastest airplane in the world, or more technically, the fastest air-breathing manned aircraft. It has reached speeds of approximately Mach 3.3, and it has reached an altitude of 25 km. It flew the distance New York - London in less than 2 hours.

SR-71 Blackbird

QUESTION 24 for Log(-1) points (principal branch):
What is the number of the room which is dreaded by people in Orwell's book 1984?

QUESTION 25 for i^i points:
What have I got in my pocket?

Score:

Code:
matterwave 4 + 5i
Evo 9 + 4i
OmCheeto 2
DavidSnider 5 + (8+pi)i
reenmachine 5 + e^(-pi/2) + 7i
montadhar 5 + 5i

Furthest away from the origin wins, so that would be David! Congratulations DavidSnider!

Awesome trivia micro! Thank you!

Congratulations David!

Did all the point values have equal weight and constructive phases so that we don't cancel out a previous question's points with future question points?

OmCheeto said:
Yay!

I might actually show up this time.

Trivia!

ps. Someone pm Jonathan Scott that there's a string quartet scheduled at the McDonalds down the street in about 45 minutes, and Big Macs & Fries are half off. :tongue:

:smile:

We were at a concert by the Hampshire County Youth Orchestra (in which my daughter plays), so no danger there!

Matterwave said:
Did all the point values have equal weight and constructive phases so that we don't cancel out a previous question's points with future question points?

No, some points canceled out other points. That was the fun of it :tongue:

micromass said:
No, some points canceled out other points. That was the fun of it :tongue:

So you expected me to do math in my head to figure out which questions I should answer and which I shouldn't...while I was trying to also think of the answers of the trivia!? Too hard...T_T

1. What is "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June"?

"New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June" is a weekly event where participants can test their knowledge and compete against others in a trivia game.

2. When does the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June" take place?

The "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June" takes place every Sunday, starting on June 29th, at a designated time which will be announced beforehand.

3. How can I participate in the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June"?

To participate in the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June", you can sign up on the designated website or platform and join the game at the designated time.

4. What type of trivia questions will be asked in the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June"?

The trivia questions in the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June" can cover a wide range of topics, including history, science, pop culture, and more.

5. Are there any prizes for participating in the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June"?

The prizes for the "New trivia challenge Sunday 29 June" may vary and will be announced beforehand. These can include cash prizes, gift cards, or other rewards.