reverse integrals

by Big-Daddy
Tags: integrals, reverse
Big-Daddy
Jan14-14, 02:54 PM
P: 339
I need to find a function f(x) such that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{100+10n} (f(x)) dx = 1-0.1^n[/tex]

for n=1,2,3,4,5,6...∞. How would I go about this? It must be exponential in some way I'm guessing?

This is not a homework problem. I don't just want the answer. I want guidance on this type of problem and function, but please from someone with an idea of how to answer this particular case too ...
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
mathman
Jan14-14, 03:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,942
Replace (100+10n) by a real variable (y). Take the derivative of both sides, this will give you an expression for f(y) if it exists. It will be an exponential.
Big-Daddy
Jan14-14, 05:18 PM
P: 339
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
Replace (100+10n) by a real variable (y). Take the derivative of both sides, this will give you an expression for f(y) if it exists. It will be an exponential.
So y=100+10n, n = 1/10(y-100) = (1/10)y-10.

Now what? I need to bear the integral limits (-∞ to y) in mind...

mathman
Jan15-14, 03:20 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,942

reverse integrals

0.1n = 0.1(y-100)/10 = exp((y-100)ln(0.1)/10). Now take the derivatives of both sides to get f(y) = .

Register to reply