Understanding Space Distortion in General Relativity

• Thread starter MrNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, space itself is curved, and this is what causes gravity. Additionally, light cannot escape a black hole because the space around it has been distorted.
MrNerd
From what I understand, general relativity states that space itself is curved. Thus, gravity. What I don't understand is, why isn't motion necessary to follow the curve? What I mean by this is if in a two dimensional plane, with space in terms of arrows, they would curve into the object(I think). In order to get closer to the object, one would have to follow the arrows(representing the geodesics), therefore being in motion. If this is true, then shouldn't one be able to determine an absolute velocity, relative to space itself? It can't only be relative to the massive object, since standing on Earth still produces gravity, as well as those satellites that focus on a single spot on Earth by moving at the same angular speed.

Additionally, how does a black hole distort the space to prevent light from the singularity getting out? The light would be perpendicular to a sucking in of space, so how does it curve?

My only ideas to these questions are that space and time are actually rearranged(like cutting a piece of cloth, moving one, and then sewing it back together), or that space is kind of pushed out(it enters the distorted space at a position pushed away relative to it, but travels as if it were it's own. As in the space is already screwed up when sewn back together, but travels as if it were not screwed up. If pulled object A is at position 1,1, the space at 1,2 is pushed away so it's at 2,2, but the object continues as if the space was at 1,2. It's kind of hard to explain this idea without a picture)

My mathematical and physics skills are limited to about AP Calculus and AP Physics B(I got a 5 on both exams, so I'm pretty good with them), but I have a basic idea about tensors(essentially they're matrices, and you can do fancy stuff with them, and sometimes AB = -BA, and sometimes AB = BA, and you're not supposed to officially learn about them until about graduate school or senior year at undergraduate school(this sucks since I'm about to start my first year at college)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, MrNerd,

Welcome to PF!

The perfect book for you at this stage would be Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler. IMO you're not going to be able to piece together a coherent understanding of this kind of thing just by posting online.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like an interesting book. Hopefully, I can get a job sometime soon and be able to afford it. I suppose you are probably right about the complete picture, too. I have some knowledge of relativity, but it's nowhere near complete.

MrNerd said:
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like an interesting book. Hopefully, I can get a job sometime soon and be able to afford it. I suppose you are probably right about the complete picture, too. I have some knowledge of relativity, but it's nowhere near complete.

If you're about to start college, you should either be able to find it at the library or obtain it through inter-library loan.

It's not on the library(searched through the website, at least) at my college, although it is only a community college. I guess I'll see what what I can do about the inter-library loan when the semester starts, so I don't waste gas.

MrNerd said:
It's not on the library(searched through the website, at least) at my college, although it is only a community college. I guess I'll see what what I can do about the inter-library loan when the semester starts, so I don't waste gas.

Being a CC student may also give you borrowing privileges at nearby four-year state schools.

There's a pretty good chance you can get an interlibrary loan. I'm not sure if they'll charge a minimal fee, it depends on the library.

You can get the first few chapters online free, in any event, at the author's website:

http://www.eftaylor.com/general.html

1. What is space distortion?

Space distortion is the phenomenon where the measurements and properties of space, such as length, time, and direction, are altered due to the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.

2. What causes space distortion?

Space distortion is caused by the gravitational pull of massive objects. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy warp the fabric of space-time, creating distortions that affect the motion of other objects.

3. How is space distortion measured?

Scientists use a mathematical concept called curvature to measure space distortion. The curvature of space-time is described by the Einstein field equations, which take into account the mass and energy of objects in space.

4. What are the effects of space distortion?

The effects of space distortion can be observed in various phenomena, such as gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent around massive objects, and gravitational time dilation, where time passes differently in different regions of space due to varying levels of space distortion.

5. Can space distortion be reversed?

Currently, there is no known way to reverse space distortion. However, some theories suggest that the effects of space distortion can be counteracted by using exotic matter or by manipulating the fabric of space-time itself. This is an area of ongoing research in theoretical physics.