Developing a function/algorithm to negate voltage change

In summary, the conversation revolved around studying composite materials and conducting an experiment to simulate varying outdoor temperatures. The goal of the assignment is to develop a function or algorithm that can subtract the effects of temperature from the voltage reading in order to keep it constant when there is no additional weight. One suggestion was to apply calibration during periods of abrupt change and extrapolate data to fill in missing points.
benanderson08
Hey guys,

So in one of my classes we are studying composite materials. We did an experiment where a piece of composite material was anchored at each of it's ends and the temperature was changed throughout the day to simulate the varying outdoor temperature. This gives you a center deflection that is read by a laser and the laser outputs a voltage value.

The problem is that the deflection is meant to measure added weight on top of the composite material at a later date, so the voltage change due to temperature change has to be subtracted from the voltage reading i.e. the original setup with just the ends anchored and no additional weight would yield a constant voltage reading.

So the goal of this assignment is to develop a function/algorithm that would be able to subtract the effects of temperature from the voltage reading in order to keep the voltage constant when there is zero additional weight. This function/algorithm has to apply to both of the days of data attached.

I've tried a few models myself, but if someone could help me with this I would really appreciate it. Any advice would be great as well.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Day 1.xlsx
    40 KB · Views: 663
  • Day 3.xlsx
    75.4 KB · Views: 584
Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at your data sets, but my first thought is to apply the calibration at the times when the weight is added. So look for abrupt changes and treat those periods of abrupt change as data "holidays". Then extrapolate from the last few data points on either side of the holiday to fill in the missing data and reconnect the pre-holiday and post-holiday data sets into a continuous plot.

1. How do you develop a function/algorithm to negate voltage change?

Developing a function or algorithm to negate voltage change involves understanding the principles of electricity and circuitry. It requires analyzing the voltage change and determining the necessary components or processes to counteract it.

2. What factors should be considered when developing a function/algorithm to negate voltage change?

Some factors to consider when developing a function or algorithm to negate voltage change include the magnitude and direction of the voltage change, the type of circuit or system in which the change occurs, and the desired outcome or goal of negating the change.

3. Can existing functions/algorithms be used to negate voltage change?

Yes, existing functions or algorithms can be used to negate voltage change, but they may need to be modified or combined with other functions to achieve the desired result. It is important to thoroughly test and evaluate the effectiveness of any existing methods before implementation.

4. How do you test the effectiveness of a function/algorithm for negating voltage change?

Testing the effectiveness of a function or algorithm for negating voltage change involves simulating the voltage change in a controlled environment and measuring the output to determine if the change has been successfully negated. This process may need to be repeated with various parameters to ensure reliability.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when developing a function/algorithm to negate voltage change?

Yes, there are some limitations and challenges when developing a function or algorithm to negate voltage change. These may include limited resources, complexity of the circuit or system, and potential errors or inaccuracies in the function or algorithm. It is important to carefully consider and address these challenges during the development process.