Register to reply

High power switching circuit problem.

by perplexabot
Tags: circuit, power, switching
Share this thread:
perplexabot
Mar1-14, 12:43 PM
P: 248
Hello all. I am trying to use a mosfet as a high power switch. I have an arduino nano pin controlling the gate of the fet. I am using an NTE2374 mosfet. I am using a typical circuit:

I also have the gate connected to the source (ground) so that when the gate is not HIGH, it isn't floating.

I have been testing this circuit on two separate components; main component (the valve) and also on an LED (not sure if this is a good idea). I have found the following things to happen:
  • When the arduino pin output is LOW and the component is either a valve of LED, the
    component was off (as it should)
  • When the arduino pin output is HIGH the LED turns on.
  • When the arduino pin output is HIGH the valve does NOT turn on and the voltage reading on
    my dc power supply goes from 15V down to zero in a moment.
I have been at this for a couple of days and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Can anyone help me out or direct me towards the correct path? Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
ESA investigates an alternative, environmental-friendly method of corrosion resistance
The oscillator that could makeover the mechanical watch
Engineers study bats to improve aviation travel
Averagesupernova
Mar1-14, 01:23 PM
P: 2,536
It sounds to me like the 'valve' as you call it which I assume is a solenoid valve draws more current than your power supply is able to source.
Baluncore
Mar1-14, 01:38 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,959
D1 could have failed by going short circuit.
The valve could have failed by going short circuit.
The wires to the valve and D1 may have been swapped, which forward biasses D1.

perplexabot
Mar1-14, 04:27 PM
High power switching circuit problem.

Quote Quote by Averagesupernova View Post
It sounds to me like the 'valve' as you call it which I assume is a solenoid valve draws more current than your power supply is able to source.
Yes, it is a solenoid valve. So, I tried increasing the current knob on my power supply and..... it worked, LOL. Thank you. I hooked it up to my battery and it worked directly. I learned something new today: A dc power supply, by default, doesn't source current.

Thank you Averagesupernova and Baluncore for the quick replies.
meBigGuy
Mar1-14, 04:27 PM
P: 1,084
You maybe have the diode in backwards?
It's wired incorrectly?
The power supply is current limiting at too low a threshold?

What happens if you short across the FET to turn on the thingy.

The FET input capacitance is 1300pf so the turn on will be slow. During that switching time the FET dissipates a lot of power. But even if the FET blew, I don't see how that causes what you describe.

EDIT: Problem solved while I was typing
perplexabot
Mar1-14, 04:34 PM
Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post

Quote Quote by meBigGuy View Post
The power supply is current limiting at too low a threshold?
You got it. Thanks anyway!
AlephZero
Mar1-14, 05:01 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,295
Quote Quote by perplexabot View Post
So, I tried increasing the current knob on my power supply and..... it worked, LOL.
I was wondering why the LED that you tested first didn't burn out with 12V applied to it. That would explain it

(But I didn't want to spoil everybody's fun guessing the answer by looking at ALL the evidence, so I didn't post this earlier!)
perplexabot
Mar1-14, 05:28 PM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
I was wondering why the LED that you tested first didn't burn out with 12V applied to it. That would explain it
Aahahaha, didn't even cross my mind. Lucky led.

Register to reply