Tracing a laser pointer with IR camera

In summary, it is possible to detect where a laser has been shining by analyzing the scattered light, but it is not possible to track the laser movement over a surface.
MarcGyongyosi
Hi!

a very basic question that probably has a simple answer: would it be possible to trace a laser moving over a generic surface such as a wooden floor with an IR camera?

The idea would be to calculate relative movement based on that...

If I'm not clear enough feel free to follow up with a question!

Thanks!
Marc

edit: maybe I should add that it would be preferred if the laser was in the invisible part of the spectrum and also safe for use around humans.

Science news on Phys.org
MarcGyongyosi said:
Hi!

a very basic question that probably has a simple answer: would it be possible to trace a laser moving over a generic surface such as a wooden floor with an IR camera?

Do you have a laser that operates at a frequency that your camera responds too? If so, the camera will "see" the light scattered from the floor in the same way that your eyes see the visible light from a laser pointer being used as a pointer.

Likes 1 person
Hi!

thanks for the quick answer! That's what I thought would happen! I was wondering, however, if there was any way to predict* for how long you could pick up the trace from the laser after it hit the ground - which would be essential for calculating relative movement...

*based on material properties

MarcGyongyosi said:
I was wondering, however, if there was any way to predict* for how long you could pick up the trace from the laser after it hit the ground

How long? Zero, near as no never mind. The only way you could detect observe points where the laser had been shining but no longer is would be if the laser light heated the surface sufficiently for it to continue to glow in the infrared after the laser had moved on.

A laser that powerful isn't a tracking device, it's a cutting tool or a weapon.

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your question! Yes, it is definitely possible to trace a laser pointer with an IR camera. In fact, many IR cameras are specifically designed for this purpose, as they can detect the heat signature of the laser beam. This allows for precise tracking of the laser's movement on any surface, including a wooden floor.

In terms of safety, it is important to ensure that the laser pointer being used is within the safe limits for human exposure. This can be determined by checking the laser's classification and power output. Additionally, using an IR camera for tracking can also help minimize any potential risk, as it does not require direct exposure to the laser beam.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of tracing a laser pointer with an IR camera?

The purpose of tracing a laser pointer with an IR camera is to visualize the path of the laser beam. This can be useful in research and experimentation, as well as in educational settings.

2. How does an IR camera detect a laser pointer?

An IR camera can detect a laser pointer by using its sensitive sensors to pick up the infrared light emitted by the laser beam. This light is invisible to the human eye, but can be captured by the camera's infrared technology.

3. What are the advantages of using an IR camera for tracing a laser pointer?

Using an IR camera for tracing a laser pointer allows for a more precise and accurate visualization of the laser beam's path. It also allows for the detection of infrared light, which is not possible with the naked eye or regular cameras.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when using an IR camera to trace a laser pointer?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using an IR camera to trace a laser pointer. This includes avoiding direct exposure to the laser beam and wearing protective eyewear to prevent any potential harm to the eyes.

5. Can an IR camera be used to trace any type of laser pointer?

An IR camera can be used to trace most types of laser pointers that emit infrared light. However, it may not be compatible with laser pointers that use a different type of light, such as green or red light.