What Is the Direction of Current in a Circuit Without Simplifying It?

In summary: Can you please provide a more comprehensive summary of the discussion, rather than just repeating everything?
Hardik Batra
I want to know the current direction in the circuit. From where to where it will flow.

I know the simplification of the circuit. All the three resistor will be in parallel. But without simplification of circuit. I want to know the direction of current.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
You have enough posts to know better than to ask others to do you work for you. Try it yourself and if you get stuck, come back for help.

I have tried out. But don't know this is right or wrong.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 546
Below the label "R2" you have a current flowing to the right. Below the label "R3" you have a current flowing to the left. These currents are flowing in the same wire. You need to rethink that.

Here. No current is flowing through resistor R1.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 498
If the resistors are all in parallel, as you correctly pointed out they are, how is it possible to have a voltage that drives a current through 2 of the 3 parallel resistors but causes no current to flow in the other?

Again, you need to rethink things.

One thing I would suggest is that you get rid of the duplicate labels. I think they are misleading you into somehow thinking that they do not represent the same nodes in the circuit.

Hardik Batra said:
I know the simplification of the circuit. All the three resistor will be in parallel. But without simplification of circuit. I want to know the direction of current.

Try redrawing the circuit instead of simplifying it.

The last picture shows current flowing away from both ends of the battery at the same time.
Overall, it is very simple to show that since all resistors are in parallel, the current flow is also as simple.

I know by redrawing the circuit i will get three resistor and current will distribute to each resistor.
But i want direction of current in this circuit only.

Here no current would flow through A-R1-B. Because A and C point are directly connected (short circuit ?) Then current will distribute through C to B and C to D.

Oh yeah,
I thought,
Here A & C and B & D are directly connected. Here A & C and B & D points both having same potential .
So the current will not flow through A to C and B to D.

This is right or wrong?

Hardik Batra said:
Here no current would flow through A-R1-B. Because A and C point are directly connected (short circuit ?)

Did you not understand my post #6? Think about it.

You REALLY need to get rid of the labels B and C. They are meaningless and are just confusing you.

AGAIN, reread my post #6.

As U=RI I can be non-zero even in case U=0 if R=0. Current can flow through a zero-resistance wire even if both ends are at the same potential.

Label on each resistor which terminal is positive (connected to the positive terminal of the battery) and which is negative. The current will flow from + to - through the resistor. Then apply the Node Rule to decide the currents through the shorts.

ehild

Technically speaking, current has no direction, it is a scalar quantity. It only has a "sense" of direction.

ehild said:
As U=RI I can be non-zero even in case U=0 if R=0. Current can flow through a zero-resistance wire even if both ends are at the same potential.

Label on each resistor which terminal is positive (connected to the positive terminal of the battery) and which is negative. The current will flow from + to - through the resistor. Then apply the Node Rule to decide the currents through the shorts.

ehild

I have tried but what to do next, i am confusing.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 479
Hardik Batra said:

You know the voltage at each end of R1, so you should be able to find the size and direction of the current across that resistor as well.

Nugatory said:
You know the voltage at each end of R1, so you should be able to find the size and direction of the current across that resistor as well.

No. I don't know the voltage at each end of R1. How would i get?

Hardik Batra said:

look at your circuit
note where the ends of R1 are directly connected to

the voltage of the "thing" they are connected to is labelled :wink:

( you work out what the "thing" is that I am referring and you have your answer)
Dave

Hardik Batra said:

You REALLY need to get rid of the labels B and C. They are meaningless and are just confusing you.

This is getting old.

phinds said:

This is getting old.

agreed ! :smile:

also
Hardik Batra said:
I know by redrawing the circuit i will get three resistor and current will distribute to each resistor.

You really must learn to simplify a circuit as much as possible. Its going to save you so much confusion for this and future problems.
Its just one of those thing you have to do. It makes life so much easier :smile:

so before asking another question. redraw the circuit and post it so we can confirm you are on the right track. THEN the answers to your questions will be clear

Dave

Follow the path of least resistance, GrassHopper!
Each end of each thing connects directly to what other thing ?
If each end of R1 connects directly to , , , No, not giving the simple answer , , ,
Your first post declared that the circuit is simply a parallel circuit , , ,
So why would the currents behave in another manner?
Advanced level question: "What difference does it make to the circuit, how you draw it?"

Last edited:
Seishin said:
Follow the path of least resistance, GrassHopper!
Each end of each thing connects directly to what other thing ?
If each end of R1 connects directly to , , , No, not giving the simple answer , , ,
Your first post declared that the circuit is simply a parallel circuit , , ,
So why would the currents behave in another manner?
Advanced level question: "What difference does it make to the circuit, how you draw it?"

We've all told him the same things over and over. Beginning to seem like a waste of time.

phinds said:

This is getting old.

At initially you said this. But I didn't get it.

But I have tried to redraw the circuit (by removing the labelled :smile:) and i have solved it.

Thanks to everyone.

Hardik Batra said:

Draw the currents through the resistor R1 first. Its terminal A is connected to the positive pole of the battery. The other terminal is negative. So the current flowing through it is from ... to ... .
If you know the current through R1, apply the Nodal Law at B, and you get the direction of current through the wire connecting B and D. The other arrows are all right in your figure in Post #13. ehild

Now, finally i got this. That i want.

Thanks.

Here, all three currents
1) flowing through A to B
2) flowing through C to B
3) flowing through D to B

are meeting at junction B. from B it is not going to negative terminal. But Point B has negative polarity to left and right side of it.

SO it is ok.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
No. At junction B, current flows in both from A and C. So the current must flow outward through the wire connecting B and [STRIKE]C[/STRIKE] D. Change the direction of the arrow.

At D, there are ttwo currents flowing in, both through R3 and through the wire BD. So the third current should flow outward, through the wire joining to the negative terminal of the battery.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
No. At junction B, current flows in both from A and C. So the current must flow outward through the wire connecting B and C. Change the direction of the arrow.

I believe this should read "So the current must flow outward through the wire connecting B and D"

I'm going to break the rules and just post the solution as the OP has made several attempts...

Attachments

• CCT.png
    CCT.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 354
CWatters said:
I believe this should read "So the current must flow outward through the wire connecting B and D"

Thank you, I meant D instead of C.

ehild

1. What is the current direction in a circuit?

The current direction in a circuit is the flow of electric charge. In most circuits, the current flows from the positive terminal of a power source to the negative terminal.

2. How is current direction measured in a circuit?

Current direction is measured in a circuit using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, and the current flows through it, allowing for accurate measurement.

3. Can current direction change in a circuit?

Yes, current direction can change in a circuit. This can happen if the polarity of the power source is reversed or if the circuit contains components such as diodes, which only allow current to flow in one direction.

4. How does current direction affect the operation of a circuit?

The direction of current in a circuit is important for determining the proper functioning of components. For example, electronic devices such as transistors and integrated circuits are designed to work with a specific current direction, and reversing the direction can cause them to malfunction or even be damaged.

5. Are there any exceptions to the typical current direction in a circuit?

Yes, there are exceptions to the typical current direction in a circuit. In some circuits, such as inverter circuits, the current flows from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Additionally, in alternating current (AC) circuits, the direction of current constantly changes, flowing back and forth instead of in a single direction.