Tags: concentration, rate, reaction
Share this thread:
Maylis
Sep1-14, 05:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 579
Hello,

I am wondering, why is it that

##\frac {d[C]}{dt} \ne k[C]## in general, where ##C## is a chemical species, and the product ##k[C]## is the reaction rate, ##r##. ##r_{c} = k[C]##

My thoughts is that because the units aren't necessarily the same, therefore they can't be the same. But I was wondering about a more physical explanation.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Incorporation of DOPA into engineered mussel glue proteins
Separation of para and ortho water
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Einstein Mcfly
Sep1-14, 10:10 AM
P: 163
What you're describing is a unimolecular reaction. If you have a reaction that is more than just one thing changing on its own, you have at least a bimolecular reaction and you can't talk about it just in terms of a single concentration.

The units of the rate constant are whatever they have to be for whatever type of reaction you have. You'll learn all about this in P-chem.
DrDu
Sep2-14, 01:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
What do the square brackets stand for, exactly?

Maylis
Sep2-14, 02:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 579
Change in concentration vs. reaction rate

Concentration of the species
DrDu
Sep2-14, 04:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
You have to be careful, here. The velocity of the reaction may in deed be formulated as the change of the concentration of a species with time. However, even in unimolecular reactions, the expression on the right hand side depends rather on the chemical activity than on concentration.

Register to reply