Finding Colloquiums and Seminars in Mathematics: Where and How?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, if you are looking for information about seminars or conferences related to mathematics, you can find them on department websites or by asking the department secretary. It may also be helpful to look into organizing an undergraduate seminar or attending the Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, where do I find out about this stuff?

I never see flyers or posters around school or even in the mathematics department.

Is there a website that informs us about this?

If possible, do you one a website for Ontario, Canada?

Note: I do know that I would probably not understand anything, but I heard it wouldn't be a bad idea. I figured why not go if it sounds alright.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Internal seminars.

These are aimed at staff/faculty (depending on your country), so you probably won't be told about them unless you ask. Such information is usually disseminated on the staff email lists. they are held usually at the same time every week, so those who ought to go know when to go anyway. in short you need to ask someone on the staff.

Conferences.

If you mean larger meetings for people from many institutions then often you 'just get to hear about them' if you need to go. since you wouldn't be eligible for funding to go (money is scarce and given to postgraduate students primarily and the speakers; others provide their own costs from various funds they have to apply for from, say, the NSF) and you're not the target audience you won't get to hear about them. even if you ought to know about them you often don't find out until too late.

Jason - are you asking about seminars at your university, at other nearby institutions, or both.

First, your school. In my experience, almost all schools post notices (somewhere) about seminars. To find out where, and to find out info on seminars in general, talk to the math department secretary, who is usually omniscient about such matters.

Other nearby schools. Some schools (but certainly not all) put seminar notices/schedules on their website. The trick is finding them - try looking at math departments' webpages.

Regards,
George

Department webpages are the way to go. I'm guessing you don't have an undergraduate seminar where you are? If not you might consider trying to organize one next year.

Look into the Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference. It's at McGill this summer I think. They should supply some funding if you apply early enough, and your university might as well.

shmoe said:
Department webpages are the way to go. I'm guessing you don't have an undergraduate seminar where you are? If not you might consider trying to organize one next year.

Look into the Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference. It's at McGill this summer I think. They should supply some funding if you apply early enough, and your university might as well.

Thanks, that's great.

I'll look into the Canadian Undergraduate Mathematics Conference.

What is a colloquium?

A colloquium is an academic event or meeting where experts in a particular field present and discuss their research with a select audience.

What is the purpose of a colloquium?

The purpose of a colloquium is to foster intellectual exchange and promote the dissemination of new research within a specific academic community.

How is a colloquium different from a seminar?

While both colloquiums and seminars involve the presentation and discussion of research, colloquiums tend to be less formal and more open-ended, with a focus on exchanging ideas and feedback among peers.

Who can attend a colloquium?

Colloquiums are typically open to anyone who is interested in the topic, but some may require registration or have limited seating. They are often attended by students, faculty, and researchers in the field.

How can one participate in a colloquium?

To participate in a colloquium, one can attend as an audience member, submit a presentation proposal, or volunteer to serve as a discussant or moderator. Some colloquiums also offer opportunities for networking and collaboration among attendees.