Sonic booms and shock cones.

• Thread starter motherlovebone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shock
In summary, the conversation discussed two problems involving supersonic flight and the speed of light in different materials. The first problem involved finding the ground speed of an aircraft based on the angle of a shock cone observed by an observer on the ground. The second problem dealt with finding the speed of a particle traveling through crown glass and determining the maximum light cone angle for a relativistically allowed velocity in that material. Hints were given for both problems, including using the speed of sound and index of refraction in the calculations.
motherlovebone
Okay, I got this worksheet today and my teacher didn't explain to me what shock cones were. So here's the problems, and what I did so far to work them out.

"An aircraft makes a supersonic pass 382 m over an observer. the shock wave pounds the observer after the plane is 405 m past her position (line of sight). what was the aircraft's ground speed if the flight path was level and the air temperature was 16 degrees Celsius?"

I started out by doing the speed of sound using the temperature correction formula, 331 + 0.6T, to get 340.6 m/s as the speed of sound. But now I am stuck as to how to find the ground speed of the plane.

This one, I have no clue on, so any hints will help.
"A light cone of 30 degrees is observed in crown glass which allows light to travel at 2.0 x 10^8 m/s. How fast was the particle supposedly going? Then find the real maximum light cone angle for a relativistically allowed velocity in this glass."

Physics news on Phys.org
tan(30) = c_material/v , so v = ? (this is not allowed to be greater than c)
... the speed of light in a material = c/n , you'll have to look up the index of refraction for crown glass (probably about 1.5)

Assume that the boom travels straight down from the plane in time t = elevation (382 m) / speed of sound. In that time, the plane has traveled 405 m.

I believe that the second question may pertain to Cerenkov radiation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_effect
http://www.physics.upenn.edu/balloon/cerenkov_radiation.html

Try thinking about the definition of index of refraction in the glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the first one, the speed is related to the angle of incidence of the shockwave, and thus to the aircraft's groundspeed and altitude.

Imagine the aircraft directly over the person's head. Now also imagine that the shockwave trails the aircraft, creating a cone with an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] relative to the ground (and the aircraft by geometry). If you call the altitude [tex]z[/tex] and the distance between the person and where the shockwave meets the ground [tex]x[/tex] you can create a relationship

[tex]\alpha = arctan \frac{z}{x}[/tex]

You also need the relationship that [tex]Ma = \frac{1}{sin \alpha}[/tex]

If you combine the two equations, you get the result

[tex]Ma = \frac{1}{sin(arctan\frac{z}{Vt})}[/tex]

You have all the information to now solve for V

Last edited:

1. What is a sonic boom?

A sonic boom is a loud noise caused by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound. It is created by a shock wave produced by the sudden change in air pressure as the object passes by.

2. How fast does an object have to travel to create a sonic boom?

An object must travel at or above the speed of sound, which is approximately 767 miles per hour or 1,235 kilometers per hour at sea level, to create a sonic boom.

3. What is a shock cone?

A shock cone, also known as a Mach cone, is the cone-shaped area of increased air pressure that forms around an object traveling at supersonic speeds. It is caused by the build-up of air molecules pushed aside by the object's shock wave.

4. Can sonic booms be harmful?

While sonic booms themselves are not harmful, they can be disruptive and cause damage to structures and buildings. However, the intensity of a sonic boom decreases as it travels away from its source, so the farther away someone is from the object creating the boom, the less intense it will be.

5. How can sonic booms be reduced or eliminated?

Sonic booms can be reduced or eliminated by designing aircraft with smoother, more aerodynamic shapes and using engines that produce less noise. Another solution is to limit the speed of aircraft over populated areas to avoid creating sonic booms.