Can other people attend college seminars and colloquium?

• Thread starter heartless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: I've never had any problems.In summary, other people can attend college seminars and colloquiums, but you should email the faculty contact mentioned on the flyer to ask permission to quietly sit among the uberlords.
heartless
can other people attend college seminars and colloquiums?

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering whether students not enrolled in a college can attend seminars and colloquiums in Colleges. It doesn't say whether others can or cannot, and also there're no rsvp's under any informations. How is it at your colllege?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One normally makes a request to the professor who is responsible for the seminar, colloquium or class. I audited a class with permission from the professor. The policies for such activities vary among universities, but it is pretty much up to the discretion of the responsible professor.

heartless said:
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering whether students not enrolled in a college can attend seminars and colloquiums in Colleges. It doesn't say whether others can or cannot, and also there're no rsvp's under any informations. How is it at your colllege?

That sounds like the sort of thing we would only have an official policy on if a lot of people started doing it. I occasionally see members of the general public sit in on our colloquia and, as far as I know, nobody bothers them. However, if they began asking a lot of questions or filling a lot of the seats, I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to attend.

If it's a seminar and not a course (i.e., doesn't require enrollment and/or tuition payment), and is advertised via flyers, yes, you can attend. They'll only complain if you show up early and eat all the cookies before anyone else gets there. Then you'll be facing the wrath of the starving grad students. :devil:

Send an email to the faculty contact mentioned on the flyer and humbly request permission to quietly seat yourself among the uberlords.

I've attended classes/courses themselves at other universities here in Ontario. I wouldn't recommend it though.

I've also used the internet at other universities too. When I'm out of town and need the internet, I just go to the nearest university, which is usually in that town.

1. Can non-students attend college seminars and colloquium?

Yes, in most cases, college seminars and colloquium are open to the public and anyone can attend. However, some seminars may require registration or may be limited to a certain number of attendees.

2. Do I need to pay to attend a college seminar or colloquium?

It depends on the college and the specific seminar or colloquium. Some may be free to attend, while others may have a registration fee. It is best to check with the college or event organizers for more information.

3. Can high school students attend college seminars and colloquium?

Yes, high school students are usually welcome to attend college seminars and colloquium. Some colleges even have specific programs or events for high school students to attend and learn more about college-level topics.

4. How can I find out about upcoming college seminars and colloquium?

Most colleges have a website or calendar of events where they list upcoming seminars and colloquium. You can also check with specific departments or professors to see if they have any upcoming events. Additionally, some colleges may have a newsletter or mailing list you can sign up for to stay updated on events.

5. Can I attend a college seminar or colloquium at a different college than the one I am enrolled in?

Yes, it is possible to attend a college seminar or colloquium at a different college. However, it is best to check with the college or event organizers beforehand to make sure non-students are allowed to attend and if there are any registration requirements.