AMD & ATI Unite: A Powerful Combination

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the two companies have announced a plan to join forces, with the goal of becoming a stronger competitor in the graphics and consumer electronics markets. This transaction is expected to close in Q4 2006, subject to court approval, regulatory approvals, and other customary closing conditions.
vincentm
On July 24, 2006, AMD and ATI announced a plan to join forces, in a transaction that will combine AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result is a processing powerhouse: a new competitor, better equipped to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers in commercial and mobile computing segments and in rapidly-growing consumer electronics segments. The transaction, valued at US $5.4 billion, is expected to close in Q4 2006 subject to approval by ATI shareholders, court approval, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.

Headquartered in Sunnyvale, California with centers of excellence around the world, the new company will have a combined workforce of approximately 14,900 employees. This transaction breaks new ground for both companies and is expected to provide increased customer benefits in four key technology areas:

Source: AMD.com

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I do like both companies, but competition the graphics market is starting to get pretty thin and I'm not sure consolidation is going to be a good thing. This should help improve AMD's chipsets, though.

I don't care anymore, i think i already bought my last Graphic card since i won't be upgrading to vista, and won't be able to use DX10, which means i won't be able to run the new games, so i won't need to upgrade my card.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I do like both companies, but competition the graphics market is starting to get pretty thin and I'm not sure consolidation is going to be a good thing. This should help improve AMD's chipsets, though.

Agreed. However, it could yield some interesting results in Direct Connect Tecnology. Also, to be honest, I'm hoping Intel joins the "extreme" GPU market, so we will have another contender in the arena. By "extreme", I, of course, mearly mean going beyond integrated graphic cards.

1. What is AMD & ATI Unite?

AMD & ATI Unite is a merger of two technology companies, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and ATI Technologies (ATI), that occurred in 2006. It combined AMD's expertise in microprocessor technology with ATI's expertise in graphics processing units (GPUs) to create a more comprehensive and powerful technology company.

2. What were the reasons for the merger between AMD & ATI?

The merger between AMD & ATI was driven by the rapidly evolving technology landscape and the increasing demand for high-performance computing and graphics. By combining their resources and expertise, AMD and ATI hoped to create a more competitive and innovative company that could better meet the needs of their customers.

3. How did the merger affect the technology industry?

The merger between AMD & ATI had a significant impact on the technology industry. It created a new player in the market that could compete with other industry giants, such as Intel and NVIDIA. It also brought together two complementary technologies, microprocessors and GPUs, which allowed for more efficient and powerful computing solutions.

4. What products have been released as a result of the AMD & ATI merger?

As a result of the merger, AMD has released a range of products that integrate both AMD and ATI technologies. This includes their Radeon series of graphics cards, which combine AMD's processors with ATI's graphics technology, and their APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) that integrates both CPU and GPU on a single chip.

5. How has the merger benefited consumers?

The merger between AMD & ATI has benefited consumers in several ways. It has led to more competitive pricing and increased innovation in the technology industry, resulting in more powerful and affordable computing solutions. It has also allowed for better integration of microprocessors and graphics cards, resulting in improved performance for tasks such as gaming and video editing.

Back