Why Bellyflops Hurt: Impact on a Water Surface

• Thread starter blaster0
  • Start date
In summary, when a body crashes into a water surface at high speed, the impact is almost as hard as on a solid surface because the water cannot displace fast enough, causing the molecules to be close together like a solid. Additionally, the Earth's rotation at over 1000km/h means that the entire system is moving, making it irrelevant whether you are on the ground or in the air. This is due to the inertia and surface tension of water, which make it harder for it to get out of the way and break when a body hits it. To survive such an impact, it is recommended to hold your arms straight along the sides of your head and bundle up upon entering the water.
blaster0
If a body crashes into a water surface at high speed, the impact is almost as hard as on a solid surface. Explain why.

I think it is something like this:
The water cannot displace fast enough and so all the molecules are close together as if they were a solid.

Also:
The Earth rotates at over 1000km/h so why when you jump off should the wall not slam into you?

I think it is that the entire Earth (even until the edges of its magnetic field rotate at that speed, and so it does not matter if you are on the ground or in the air because the entire system is moving.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
All help is appreciated, i have this due soon

blaster0 said:
If a body crashes into a water surface at high speed, the impact is almost as hard as on a solid surface. Explain why.

I think it is something like this:
The water cannot displace fast enough and so all the molecules are close together as if they were a solid.

Also:
The Earth rotates at over 1000km/h so why when you jump off should the wall not slam into you?

I think it is that the entire Earth (even until the edges of its magnetic field rotate at that speed, and so it does not matter if you are on the ground or in the air because the entire system is moving.

Thank you for your input in advance.
You could give a reason why it is harder for water to get out of the way than the air you were falling through. Compare the density of water to the density of gas and the density of a solid.

You must have left some words out of the second question. You are on the right track. What is your motion relative to an observer out in space before you jump?

I also have heard this expression but never have seen an explanation for it. I tend to agree with your first guess at it: the inertia (getting quickly out of the way) and basically incompressibility of water. Another factor to consider is the surface tension (keeping it together) of the water.

I would think that in order to survive such a process one should hold your arms straight along the sides of your head with your palms pressed together. This should break the surface tension as the tip of your fingers enter first and allow you to slip into the water rather than slam into the surface which resists breaking and elastically deforming under the impact. Once in the water you should bundle up in order to slow down as quickly as possible before hitting the bottom.

Last edited:

What is a bellyflop?

A bellyflop is a type of dive where the person jumps into the water in a horizontal position with their belly hitting the surface first.

Why do bellyflops hurt?

Bellyflops hurt because the impact of hitting the water surface at a high speed and with a large surface area causes a lot of force to be exerted on the body, which can result in pain or injury.

How does the impact on water surface affect the body during a bellyflop?

The impact on water surface during a bellyflop can cause a variety of injuries, such as bruises, broken bones, and even concussions, depending on the force and angle of the impact.

Can bellyflops be dangerous?

Yes, bellyflops can be dangerous if not executed properly. The impact on the water surface can cause serious injuries, especially if the person is diving from a high height or is not familiar with proper diving techniques.

Is there a safe way to do a bellyflop?

While bellyflops can never be completely risk-free, there are ways to minimize the impact and potential injuries. This includes diving at a lower height, entering the water at a slight angle, and keeping the body as straight as possible during the dive.