Is There a Programmable Oscillator Chip for Low MHz Range?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary: I1. ADJ pulse generator kit2. E-Clip pulse generator kit3. Pulsar 8x8x8 pulse generator kit4. LM386 based pulse generator kit5. 555 timer based pulse generator kit6. MOSFET based pulse generator kit7. Low voltage trigger pulse generator kit8. High voltage trigger pulse generator kit9. RF transceiver based pulse generator kit10. Crystal controlled pulse generator kit11. PC based pulse generator kit12. PIC based pulse generator kit13. ATMEGA based pulse generator kit14. ARM Cortex M3 based pulse generator kit15. ARM Cortex M4 based pulse generator kit
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a programmable oscillator chip that I could use for my experiments. I want to work in the low MHz range (up to about 50MHz) but can't afford to buy a fancy frequency generator to accomplish the task; so, I got an old Motorola microcontroller and I want to see if I can use it to programmatically set the frequency for the oscillator. Does such a device exist?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that programmable oscillator chips are quite standard, but:

1. They typically come with some number (like 5) of preset frequencies, and if you want to continuously vary the frequency, you have to throw in a trimpot or some such extension.

2. I've not seen a programmable oscillator that goes up to the MHz range - that is not to say that they don't exist.

Have you looked up Analog Devices, Linear Technologies, Texas Instruments and other usual suspects?

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/AD2S99.pdf

That one goes up only to 20kHz, comes with 4 presets and allows you to add to it if you want more frequencies.

Alternatively, you could build yourself a programmable oscillator based on a standard Wien Bridge topology. What's the budget and time restrictions on this? Also, what are your requirements on amplitude and frequency stability, and harmonic distortion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Goku,

Thanks for the suggestions. As for my requirements and time constraints. I need to build three of these oscillators to do my tests and I am working on this in my free time so no huge time constraints there. As for the budget, I'm definitely not rich but it would be nice to keep the cost to a minimum. However, the oscillator needs to be very frequency stable and have low distortion. I will ultimately be using it to trigger a DS1040 IC to control some MOSFETS. So the oscillator can be a square wave one. I do need to have a wide range of frequency control on this one. I have been trying to think about how to do this digitally. Maybe using a digital resistor or something if I used some sort of analog version? Not sure.

Thanks,
Jason O

Hi Again,

I'm thinking I might go for something a bit simpler for the moment so I thought i'd ask if anyone knows of any good, cheap, kits to build a pulse generator with an adjustable duty cycle. Ideally, it would be nice if I could make one that could up to about 1MHz but I'm not too picky about that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason O

What is a programmable oscillator?

A programmable oscillator is an electronic device that generates an output signal with a specific frequency and amplitude. It can be programmed to produce a wide range of frequencies, making it a versatile tool in various applications such as telecommunications, instrumentation, and digital systems.

How does a programmable oscillator work?

A programmable oscillator typically consists of a crystal or resonator, an amplifier, and a programmable counter. The crystal or resonator provides a stable reference frequency, which is then amplified and fed into the programmable counter. The counter divides the frequency to produce the desired output frequency.

What are the advantages of using a programmable oscillator?

One of the main advantages of a programmable oscillator is its versatility. It can generate a wide range of frequencies with high accuracy and stability. Additionally, it is compact, cost-effective, and consumes less power compared to other frequency generation methods.

What are the applications of a programmable oscillator?

Programmable oscillators are widely used in various electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, radios, and televisions. They are also used in scientific instruments, aerospace and defense systems, and medical equipment. They play a crucial role in maintaining accurate timing and synchronization in these devices.

How do I choose the right programmable oscillator for my project?

When choosing a programmable oscillator, you should consider factors such as frequency range, accuracy, stability, power consumption, and cost. You should also ensure that the oscillator's specifications meet the requirements of your project. It is advisable to consult with an expert or refer to the datasheet for more information.