What is the acceleration of a block on a frictionless surface?

In summary, the problem involves a block on a frictionless surface with a force of 20 N applied at an angle of 30 degrees. Using the horizontal component of the force, the acceleration is calculated to be 3.46, but the answer choices do not include this exact value. The correct answer is not among the options given.
dirtybirdhouse183

Homework Statement

A block is on a frictionless horizontal surface. A force of 20 N is applied to the block at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. If the mass of the block is 5 kg, what is the acceleration of the block?

The choices for acceleration are: a) 5.3 b) 6.2 c) 7.5 d) 4.7 e)3.2

Homework Equations

Do I need to compute the vertical forces acting on the block?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am guessing that the horizontal component of the force is the force that causes the block to accelerate, or move. So then the horizontal force would be 20cos30 which is 17N. Then I divided that by the mass to get the acceleration but it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did what you did:
[tex]F_x = \cos 30 \cdot 20 = m a_x[/tex]
[tex]F_y = \sin 30 \cdot 20 - n = 0[/tex]
so [tex]a_x = \frac {\cos 30 \cdot 20}{5} = .62[/tex]

dirtybirdhouse183 said:
So I am guessing that the horizontal component of the force is the force that causes the block to accelerate, or move. So then the horizontal force would be 20cos30 which is 17N. Then I divided that by the mass to get the acceleration but it's wrong.
Your method is correct; the answer is not among those given (although one of them is pretty close).

lizzyb said:
so [tex]a_x = \frac {\cos 30 \cdot 20}{5} = .62[/tex]
Check your arithmetic.

I tried

Yes, my acceleration was 3.46, but there acceleration is 3.2. Hopefully, the answer choices aren't incorrect lol. Thanks for the replies though, I really apperciate them.

1. What is the formula for acceleration of a block?

The formula for acceleration of a block is a = (F - μmg)/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the applied force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you measure the acceleration of a block?

The acceleration of a block can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures changes in velocity over time. This data can then be used to calculate the acceleration of the block.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a block?

The acceleration of a block is affected by several factors, including the applied force, mass of the block, coefficient of friction, and the slope of the surface the block is on. Other factors such as air resistance and external forces can also affect the acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration of a block be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a block can be negative. This means that the block is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. It can also be zero if the block is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. How does the acceleration of a block differ from its velocity?

The acceleration of a block is a measure of how quickly the velocity of the block is changing. Velocity, on the other hand, is the measure of an object's speed and direction of motion at a specific moment in time. While velocity can be constant, acceleration can vary depending on the forces acting on the block.