Is Work Done While Walking Without External Force Applied?

In summary, while walking, some work is done by our body if no external force is applied on our body. However, this work is less efficient than when the body is moving due to the fact that a larger percentage of our leg motions are not propelling us forward. Additionally, swinging the arms while walking does not produce a great deal of useful work.
shehri
Hi all,

Work,in terms of Physics, is defined as F.d i.e scalar product of Force & displacement.My query is "While walking are is some work is done by our body if no external force is applied on our body?.Is some work is being done by the internal energy supplied by our body?.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean "is any work done while walking?"
the answer is definitely yes. You push the Earth so that the Earth pushes you while working. The energy goes into frictional heat, kinetic energy of the earth, of your body, and the gravitational potential you build up when lifting you, also electrostatic potential between the ground and you... and many many more...

also, if you look at the muscles cells of the body, they contract and relax during walking, which requires chemical energy from ATPs and many others things.

Well. I'll need to be scientifically detached here for several reasons. Sigh.

To the original post/poster (OP) -- what are the differences between a human female walking versus a cylinder rolling or a mass sliding on a frictionless plane?

Sigh again. Anybody want to work out?

yes, I meant while walking, is some work is being done in terms of 'F.d'?If yes,how the force 'F' will be calculated?.If someone travels 5m what would be the work done in terms of definition of work i.e,

w=F.d.

As I was hinting, walking is less efficient than rolling. Why is it less efficient? What percentage of our leg motions are actually propelling us forward? What do you have to do with your arms to stay balanced? Does swinging your ams produce useful work in walking?

shehri said:
yes, I meant while walking, is some work is being done in terms of 'F.d'?If yes,how the force 'F' will be calculated?.If someone travels 5m what would be the work done in terms of definition of work i.e,

w=F.d.
Use the work-energy theorem. If you walk at constant speed over some distance, what is the net work done on you?

What is work done while walking?

Work done while walking is the physical energy expended while moving one's body from one place to another. It is a form of mechanical work that involves the use of muscles and joints to produce movement.

How is work done while walking calculated?

The amount of work done while walking can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to walk by the distance traveled. This is known as the work formula: W = F x d.

What factors affect the amount of work done while walking?

The amount of work done while walking can be affected by a variety of factors, including body weight, terrain, speed, and duration of walking. Other factors such as age, fitness level, and the use of external aids (e.g. walking stick) can also impact the amount of work done.

How does walking speed affect the amount of work done?

Walking speed has a direct impact on the amount of work done. The faster a person walks, the more force they need to apply to maintain that speed, resulting in a higher amount of work done. This is why walking at a slower pace requires less energy and is more sustainable for longer periods of time.

What are the benefits of work done while walking?

Walking is a low-impact form of exercise that can have numerous benefits for overall health and well-being. The work done while walking can improve cardiovascular health, strengthen muscles and bones, improve balance and coordination, and increase energy levels. It is also a great way to reduce stress and improve mental health.