Equatorial Velocity of Sun - 2 Problems & Speed of Sound

• Thread starter becauseIsaidSO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the equatorial velocity of the sun is a measurable quantity that can be looked up, but it may vary depending on which unit of measurement is used. The speed of sound, on the other hand, is not a fixed value and can be affected by various factors. To find the equatorial velocity of the sun, one can try searching for terms like "rotational velocity" or "sun's rotation velocity" on scientific search engines.
becauseIsaidSO
can someone please help me with these two problems i am struggling with, i don't know why but i can not get these two problems for the life of me

What is the equatorial velocity of the sun in meters/sec?
What is the equatorial velocity of the sun in feet/sec?
Is this faster or slower than the speed of sound?
is the speed of sound 344m/s, 770mph,1238km/hr?
Thanks for your help...

Physics news on Phys.org
short answer: no the speed of sound depends on a variety of factors, recall if you ever inhaled helium and what it did to the pitch of your voice. The equatorial speed of the sun can be looked up.

i tried google-ing the answer but to no avail, should i look on some sort of scientific search engine to find the equatorial velocity of the sun?

try rotational velocity, or sun's rotation velocity...u'll find it

1. What is the equatorial velocity of the Sun?

The equatorial velocity of the Sun is the speed at which the Sun rotates around its own axis at the equator. It is approximately 7,189 miles per hour or 3,200 kilometers per hour.

2. How is the equatorial velocity of the Sun calculated?

The equatorial velocity of the Sun can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the Sun at the equator (nearly 2.7 million miles or 4.3 million kilometers) by the length of its rotational period (approximately 25 days). This calculation results in a value of approximately 107,300 miles per day or 1,262 miles per hour.

3. What are the two main problems associated with measuring the equatorial velocity of the Sun?

The two main problems associated with measuring the equatorial velocity of the Sun are the presence of sunspots and the differential rotation of the Sun. Sunspots are darker, cooler areas on the Sun's surface that can affect the accuracy of measurements. The Sun also rotates at different speeds at different latitudes, making it difficult to determine a precise equatorial velocity.

4. How does the equatorial velocity of the Sun compare to the speed of sound?

The equatorial velocity of the Sun is much faster than the speed of sound. The speed of sound on Earth is approximately 767 miles per hour, while the equatorial velocity of the Sun is over 1,200 miles per hour.

5. Why is it important to study the equatorial velocity of the Sun?

Studying the equatorial velocity of the Sun helps us understand the dynamics of our closest star and how it affects the Earth and our solar system. It also provides valuable information for predicting and understanding solar weather and its potential impact on Earth. Additionally, studying the equatorial velocity of the Sun can help us better understand how stars rotate and evolve in our universe.