Hall Effect Measurement Error Analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of an experiment on the Hall Effect, including a least squares fit and finding uncertainties on the data sets. The question was raised about finding the average regression line and whether to take the mean or add the errors in quadrature. The answer depends on the correlation of the uncertainties and how the measurements were made.
Mindscrape
I did an experiment on the Hall Effect, and found the voltage for the Hall "probe" (it was a strip of bismuth) as a function of a current magnetizing the B-field. Anyway, I did a least squares fit to find the regression line with A^T A = A^T b, and found four lines for each of my four data sets. I also found the uncertainties on the each of the four with [tex]\sigma = \sqrt{\frac{1}{N-2} \sum_{i=1}^N (y_i - A -Bx_i)^2}[/tex].

My question is that if I find the average regression line, using [tex]\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{y_i}{N}[/tex], would I simply take the mean of errors since they will all be dependent on the same factors? Should I add the errors in quadrature since they were all errors would be random, and dependent on different random factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking the right questions! The answer depends on how you made your measurements. Are the uncertainties uncorrelated? If one is a voltage and another is a dimension, for instance, then you can assume no correlation = rms. If they are related, for instance the same meter is used separately to measure current and voltage, and there's a systematic error (meter calibration is off), then you might need to sum the errors.

They are correlated, though I haven't actually done a correlation test, because all I did was increase the magnetic field until the galvanometer measuring the voltage hit its sensitivity peak, and then I turned the current back to zero (to get rid of remanent magnetization) and did the test all over again.

At the same time, I could see how since any error on the measurements will be a random error, as any systematic error would repeatedly show in every test, why they would be uncorrelated. Random events can't really correlate together.

Ultimately, I guess that simply adding the uncertainties will make the most since though.

What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a fundamental physics phenomenon that describes the generation of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the current flow.

How does Hall Effect measurement work?

Hall Effect measurement involves passing an electrical current through a sample material, applying a magnetic field perpendicular to the current, and measuring the resulting voltage across the sample. The measured voltage is proportional to the strength of the applied magnetic field and the properties of the sample material.

What are the sources of error in Hall Effect measurements?

The most common sources of error in Hall Effect measurements include variations in the magnetic field strength, non-uniformity of the sample material, and interference from external electrical noise. Other factors such as temperature fluctuations and misalignment of the sample can also contribute to measurement error.

How can Hall Effect measurement errors be minimized?

To minimize measurement errors, it is important to calibrate the equipment before each measurement, ensure the sample material is uniform and free from defects, and carefully control the magnetic field strength and direction. Additionally, using shielding to reduce external electrical noise and maintaining a stable temperature can help improve the accuracy of Hall Effect measurements.

What are the applications of Hall Effect measurements?

Hall Effect measurements are commonly used in materials science and engineering to study the electrical properties of materials, such as their charge carrier concentration, mobility, and conductivity. They are also used in the development and testing of electronic devices, particularly in the semiconductor industry.