What is the Next Step in Calculating Wavelength for Singly Ionized Helium?

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: This is the energy of the photon emitted by the transition between these two energy levels.In summary, to calculate the wavelength of the first line of the Balmer series for singly ionized helium, you can use the formula E = 54.4/n^2 eV where n>=3 and n=2. This formula is similar to the one used for hydrogen, but with a charge of 2. To find the energy difference, you need to calculate the energy levels for two values of n and find the difference between them. This difference represents the energy of the photon emitted and can be used to calculate the wavelength using the equation e = hc/wavelength.
Ry122
The energy levels for singly ionised helium can be constructed from the formula:
E = 54.4/n^2 eV
Use this to calculate the wavelength of the first line of the balmer series for singly ionized helium
E=54.4 for the first line. Whats the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Singly ionized helium is exactly like hydrogen, except with charge 2. So the ratios between lines are the same as the Balmer series for hydrogen.

can you tell me what equation i need to use?

You just gave it. Balmer lines are transitions between n>=3 and n=2. E=54.4eV isn't a line. It's the first energy level. Lines are the difference between energy levels.

Last edited:
Im supposed to be calculating the wavelength, but none of the variables in that equation represent wavelength.

What's the relation between energy of a photon and it's wavelength?

is it e = hc/wavelength ?

Balmer lines are transitions between n>=3 and n=2

So what value do I use for n, 2?

Yes, for the first question. Though I don't know why you put a question mark after it. You don't use a value for n. You pick two values for n and find the energy difference. Pick the two values of n that make the difference largest. That's the first Balmer line.

You don't use a value for n

if n isn't assigned a value, how can i find E?

You don't use ONLY ONE value for n.

You need to calculate the energy levels for two values of n.

The difference between these energy levels is what you are interested in.

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength?

The formula for calculating wavelength is λ= c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.

2. How do I convert frequency to wavelength?

To convert frequency to wavelength, use the formula λ= c/f, where c is the speed of light and f is the frequency. Make sure to use the correct units for c and f (usually meters per second and hertz, respectively).

3. What units are used to measure wavelength?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m) or nanometers (nm). In some cases, it may also be measured in centimeters (cm) or angstroms (Å).

4. How does wavelength relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Wavelength is one of the characteristics used to describe different types of electromagnetic radiation on the electromagnetic spectrum. As wavelength increases, frequency decreases and the energy of the radiation decreases.

5. What factors affect the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave is affected by the medium through which it travels and the frequency of the wave. In different mediums, the speed of the wave may change, which can affect the wavelength. Additionally, as frequency increases, wavelength decreases and vice versa.