Position as a function of time

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for the position and velocity of a 5.0 kg cart on a horizontal frictionless surface. The cart starts at 0.0 seconds with a velocity of unknown value and a constant force is applied for two seconds before being removed. The goal is to find equations for position and velocity as functions of time. The conversation also highlights the importance of showing effort in solving the problem.
Billmaz89
Hi all,
I can't find a function of this data, since the cart is already in motion. Please help a noobie at physics!
Time is increasing from 0.0 to 2.0 by .1
x (in m) is 5.0 at 0.0 and 49.0 at 2.0 seconds

the cart that's moving is 5.0 kg intially traveling at some unknown velocity on a horizontal frictionless surface. Starting at t=0s, a constant force F, is applied for two seconds, after these two seconds the force is no longer applied.

so, the question is,
Find an equation for position as a function of time that fits the data. Then find an equation for the cart's velocity as a function of time.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of questions:

what do you mean by "Time is increasing from 0.0 to 2.0 by .1"

Do you need the equation for after the force is applied, or just while the force is applied?

Also, what have you tried doing so far? We can only help you if you show a sincere effort in solving the problem yourself. Let us know!

Alexandre Colavin

In increments of 0.1, presumably.

in increments of .1 until it reaches 2.0, yes, and I've been going through given equations to try to find the velocity, and the amount of force applied. But I can't find an equation that doesn't require the unknown initial velocity so I'm kind of stuck just looking at equations. I'm not asking for the problem done for me, I just need to be pointed in the correct direction.and just while the force is applied is my guess, it wasn't asking anything after the force is done I'm pretty sure.

What is position as a function of time?

Position as a function of time is a mathematical representation of an object's location in space at different points in time. It describes how an object's position changes over time.

How is position as a function of time calculated?

The position as a function of time is calculated by using the formula x(t) = x0 + v0t + ½at², where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

What is the significance of position as a function of time in physics?

Position as a function of time is significant in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they change over time. It is a fundamental concept in kinematics, which is the study of motion.

How is position as a function of time graphically represented?

Position as a function of time is graphically represented by plotting the position of an object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph is called a position-time graph, and it shows how an object's position changes with respect to time.

How does velocity relate to position as a function of time?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, it is the slope of the position-time graph. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity.