What is the best way to learn Windows programing?

• Thread starter Mr Virtual
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of transitioning from learning C++ to GUI programming, specifically Windows programming. The person is looking for suggestions or tutorials to make the transition smoother and wondering if it is necessary to remember all the functions and objects or if it is okay to copy and paste them. One suggestion is to use the Windows API, but another person recommends learning a cross-platform toolkit instead.
Mr Virtual
Hello Everyone

I have just finished learning C++ in my +1 and +2 classes. Now I want to proceed to GUI programing (or Windows programing). However I find that there are too many functions and other things to remember, for a beginner. I mean Windows programing is a whole lot different from what we used to do in C++. Is there an easy way out or did all the programers initially cram these functions before proceeding any further? Also, is there any tutorial suitable for people like me who want a smooth transition from the easy C++ to the complex GUI app programing?

I have noticed that each GUI application has a basic set of functions and objects. I understand what most of them do. But is it necessary to remember them all too? Or is it OK if I just copy and paste them from one project to the other for the moment, proceed with my task, and hope that I will learn them in due time?

Useful and helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Warm regards
Mr V

Technology news on Phys.org
It's called the Windows API and, yes, you do have to know a subset of those functions.
Do your example programs use MFC - Microsoft Foundation Classes? That is also something you have to learn for C++ Windows programming.

I don't know anything about MFC. But I want to know if there is a tutorial that teaches Windows programing the same way as C++ is taught i.e. starting with data types and basic things and then building functions, structures, classes etc. with them.

Mr V

I have got the book and will take a peek in it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mr V

You DO NOT want to learn the Windows API. It's far too complicated and it's a waste of time.

Instead, learn a decent cross-platform toolkit like wx, Qt, GTK+, or whatever you like best. Your programs will be simple and easily ported to any operating system you like.

- Warren

1. What are the key programming languages used for Windows development?

The main programming languages used for Windows development are C++, C#, and Visual Basic. C++ is a popular choice for building high-performance applications, while C# and Visual Basic are more commonly used for developing Windows desktop applications.

2. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to learn Windows programming?

While having prior programming experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn Windows programming. Many resources are available for beginners, and with dedication and practice, anyone can learn to code for Windows.

3. What are the best resources for learning Windows programming?

There are many resources available for learning Windows programming, including online tutorials, books, and courses. Some popular options include Microsoft's official documentation, Codecademy, and Udemy courses.

4. What are the most important concepts to understand for Windows programming?

Some important concepts to understand for Windows programming include object-oriented programming, the Windows API, event-driven programming, and graphical user interface (GUI) design. It's also crucial to have a good understanding of the programming language you are using.

5. How can I practice and improve my Windows programming skills?

The best way to practice and improve your Windows programming skills is to work on projects and build applications. You can also participate in online coding challenges and join programming communities to learn from others and receive feedback on your code.