Grad School Applications Official Thread

Ultimately, it is important to be honest about your intentions and make sure you are applying to the program that aligns with your interests and qualifications. In summary, it is best to consult with the admissions office for guidance on which program to select and be honest about your background and goals in the application process.
astromaestro
Hey PF,
I just had a question for anyone who has been through the aerospace application process. I am intending to probably go for masters in aerospace, but in the application, what looks better, to select MS or PhD for the program I want to apply for? That is, is it better to look ambitious and go for the Doc, or to look more honest and write in MS?

As for my background, I am a physics/astrophysics bachelor in his 2nd year in an astronomy PhD program. I am planning on dropping after I get my masters and enroll in an aerospace program for Fall 09. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give you is to talk to someone in the admissions office at the school you are interested in applying to. They will be able to tell you exactly what they are looking for in applicants and which program is more suitable for your background and goals. Depending on the application process, it may be possible to apply for both the MS and PhD programs and then decide which one you want to pursue once accepted.

I can offer some insight into this question. First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a graduate degree in aerospace! It is a challenging and exciting field, and I'm sure you will do well.

When it comes to selecting MS or PhD on your application, it is important to consider your long-term goals and career aspirations. If you are certain that you want to pursue a PhD in aerospace, then it may be beneficial to select that option on your application. This shows your ambition and dedication to the field.

However, if you are not completely sure about pursuing a PhD, or if you are looking to gain more experience and knowledge before committing to a longer program, then selecting MS may be a better option for you. This does not make you any less ambitious or honest, as it is important to choose the program that best fits your current goals and interests.

Furthermore, your background in physics and astrophysics will be valuable in the aerospace field, and your decision to pursue a masters in aerospace after completing your current program shows your dedication to expanding your knowledge and skills.

In the end, the most important factor is to choose the program that aligns with your goals and interests, and to put your best foot forward in your application. I wish you all the best in your graduate school journey!

1. What are the requirements for applying to grad school?

The requirements for applying to grad school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, a strong GPA, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores (for some programs). Some programs may also require a resume/CV and/or a writing sample. It is important to thoroughly research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.

2. When should I start preparing for grad school applications?

It is recommended to start preparing for grad school applications at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, gather materials, and prepare for standardized tests if required. It is also important to start early so that you have enough time to make any necessary improvements, such as retaking a test or gaining more research experience, before the application deadlines.

3. How important are GRE scores in the grad school application process?

The importance of GRE scores varies among programs and universities. Some programs may have a minimum required score, while others may not consider GRE scores at all. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in applying to. However, keep in mind that GRE scores are just one aspect of your application and a strong GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement can also greatly impact your chances of acceptance.

4. What can I do to stand out in my grad school application?

To stand out in your grad school application, it is important to have a strong academic background, research experience, and unique qualities or experiences that make you a well-rounded candidate. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also make a big difference. It is also important to tailor your application materials to each specific program and showcase your passion and interest in the field of study.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into grad school?

In addition to having a strong academic background and relevant experiences, there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of getting accepted into grad school. These include starting early and giving yourself enough time to prepare a strong application, researching and reaching out to potential mentors or faculty at the programs you are interested in, and networking with current graduate students or alumni. Additionally, if your GRE scores or GPA are not as strong, you can consider gaining more research experience or taking additional courses to improve your academic record.