WinXP Question: Easily Sync Files Across Multiple Hard Drives

• Thread starter gareth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of keeping multiple folders and files up to date across various devices. The participants mention different methods such as using the Briefcase facility and XP's backup program, but highlight their limitations. They also suggest using third-party software and tools like xcopy and Foldershare to automate the process. Ultimately, the solution proposed is to create briefcases linked to an external hard drive and use Foldershare to keep all files in sync.
gareth
I have a general enough question about XP.

I have a folder of files on my PC HD, I constantly adding to these. I also store the files on my external HD and my laptop. I add to the files on these three HD's regularly.

To keep all folders up to date I have to see what I have in each or else copy and paste the whole lot into the new foler. This takes some time as there are a lot of files.

There must be an easier way; I have tried using the 'Briefcase' facility but that only updates files you are working on and doesn't copy over new files (not that I can see anyway)

Anyone know the solution here?

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Apparently, xp comes with its own backup programme. I've never used it, though:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

yes I am aware of this, it's not really suitable though. It creates a 'backup' which you need to re-create if you want to view the files. As I use the files daily this is quite cumbersome

On windows you need two kinds of backups:
An image backup of the entire drive that you can use to restore the whole OS if something goes bad - you can't do this on windows by simply copying the files, and ironically you can't do it with the windows backup program either!
You need somethign like acronis or ghost or my favorite http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/ - these can also mount your backup file as a drive so you can extract individual files.

For copying files that have been changed you can use either the builtin xcopy command.
eg. xcopy *.doc d: /s/d/y/c will backup all word files, only coping those that are newer.
There is also robocopy availabe from microsoft (part of the server resource kit free download) which will also watch a directory and copy anything that changes.

You can use the windows schedular to run these every day/week etc.

thanks,

I found a solution that should work I think. Make briefcases on every PC I use and link them to my external HD. Evertime I plug in the EXHD I can update things. Not elegent but it will do the job!

Gareth,

I don't know if either of your computers has an internet connection, but if they both do check this out:

https://www.foldershare.com/learnmore.aspx

Its free from Microsoft. I use it to keep the files on my Desktop and Laptop in sync via the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a very handy tool, thanks jsg7377.

there's one thing bugging me about it though, when I add a folder to the syn library, it indicates it has 0 files in it (which it does not on my desktop).

What am I doing wrong?

1. How do I sync files across multiple hard drives in WinXP?

To sync files across multiple hard drives in WinXP, you can use the built-in feature of Windows called "Briefcase." Simply create a Briefcase folder on one of your hard drives and then add the files you want to sync to it. Then, you can copy the Briefcase folder to your other hard drives, and any changes made to the files in the Briefcase will be automatically synced across all the drives.

2. Can I sync files between different versions of Windows?

Yes, you can sync files between different versions of Windows using the Briefcase feature. However, keep in mind that some features may not be available in older versions of Windows, so certain files or settings may not sync correctly.

3. How do I set up automatic syncing of files?

To set up automatic syncing of files, you can use the FreeFileSync software. This program allows you to schedule regular syncs between folders or drives, making it easy to keep your files up to date.

4. Is it possible to sync files between a PC and a Mac?

Yes, it is possible to sync files between a PC and a Mac using the Briefcase feature or third-party software like FreeFileSync. However, keep in mind that some file formats may not be compatible between the two operating systems, so not all files may sync correctly.

5. Can I sync files between multiple computers?

Yes, you can sync files between multiple computers using the Briefcase feature or third-party software like FreeFileSync. However, the computers must be connected to the same network for the sync to work.