How Does the Wave Function Determine Particle Location Probability?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability in relation to finding a particle on a 1d line. It is explained that the integral of the probability function, P(x), represents the probability of finding the particle in a specific length on the line. The conversation also clarifies that P(x) is a function, not a constant, and that it is equal to the wave function squared. Further discussion addresses the confusion between P(x) and \frac{Px^{2}}{2} and the role of the wave function, W(x), in determining the probability.
madmike159
Gold Member
I was reading part of a book which was explaining about the probability of finding a particle on a 1d line.
[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex]P(x) dx = 1
This sounds right because if the line was infinitely long then the particle must be on it.
You can them intergrate between a and b to find the probability of it being in a length and if a and b were the same the probability would be 0.
But when you intergrate P(x) dx you get [tex]\frac{Px^{2}}{2}[/tex]
by putting the numbers in you get P[tex]\infty[/tex] - -P[tex]\infty[/tex]
or P[tex]\infty[/tex] + P[tex]\infty[/tex] = P[tex]\infty[/tex]
A probability can't be more than 1. I must be missing something or dealing with the infinities in the wrong way.
(Sorry it looks like P^infinity its P x infinity but I couldn't change it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_\infty^\infty P(x) dx=1[/tex] doesn't mean [tex]\int_\infty^\infty Px dx=1[/tex] P(x) means the probability in function of x not P a constant times x.

madmike159 said:
But when you intergrate P(x) dx you get [tex]\frac{Px^{2}}{2}[/tex]

?

If you integrate P(x) dx you get the integral of P(x); I am not quite sure why you think you would get [tex]\frac{Px^{2}}{2}[/tex]?
P(x) is a FUNCTION, not a constant; there is no way to integrate it unless you know what that function is.

Oh so P(x) is the wave function? I'm going to read the chapter again.

No, P(x) is the probability function, which is the wavefunction squared (actually, absolute value squared)... So P(x)dx gives the probability for finding the particle on a bit of length dx at position x.

Yea, I re-read it and think I understand now. W(x) is the wave function and P(x) =|W(x)^2

1. What is a wave function probability?

A wave function probability is a mathematical description of the likelihood of finding a particle in a specific state or location. It is represented by a wave-like function and is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How is wave function probability calculated?

Wave function probability is calculated by taking the square of the wave function, also known as the modulus squared. This value represents the probability of finding a particle in a specific state or location.

3. What is the significance of wave function probability?

The significance of wave function probability lies in its ability to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to make predictions about the likelihood of finding a particle in a specific state or location, and has been confirmed through numerous experiments.

4. Can wave function probability be negative?

No, wave function probability cannot be negative. The square of the wave function, which represents the probability, is always a positive value. However, the wave function itself can have negative values, but these are only used in calculations and do not have physical meaning.

5. How does wave function probability relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Wave function probability is used to describe the probability of finding a particle in a specific location, which is related to the position of the particle. Therefore, it is closely linked to the uncertainty principle.