Assistance with physics vector problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the components of a velocity vector for wind blowing at 12 km/hr toward the southeast. The solution provided is 12cos(45)i - 12sin(45)j, but it is not clear what i and j represent and if they satisfy the requirements of a velocity vector. It is also mentioned that the components of a velocity should also be velocities and the original vector can be resolved into its x and y components. However, the magnitude of a velocity always consists of a number and a unit, making the statement of the question unclear.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

Give the components of the velocity vector for wind blowing at 12 km/hr toward the southeast

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

12cos(45)i - 12sin(45)j

Isn't this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Two observations.
It's not clear what i and j represent. Sure, I'm about 99% certain I know what you mean, but I shouldn't have to guess.
If you break a velocity into its components, are those components also velocities?

i is the vector direction that represents the x-axis and y is the vector direction that represents the y axis.

and yes those components are also velocities

-EquinoX- said:
i is the vector direction that represents the x-axis and y is the vector direction that represents the y axis.

and yes those components are also velocities
Yes, I was sure you mean those directions, but it is not universally understood that i
means east. And, the components shown in your answer are not velocities.

so if it's not velocities then what is it? and how do I represent it in velocities?

OK, we agree the components of a velocity should also be velocities. Your original velocity is a vector. Look at your components and ask whether they satisfy the requirements of a velocity vector.

i still don't see it why its not a velocity vector

We have the magnitude and the direction of a 2D vector (who cares if it happens to represent velocity?), and we want to resolve it into its x and y components. Equi has done this; what's up, TVP?

Not to be too pedantic about this, but 8.48 east is not a velocity. The magnitude of such a velocity will always consist of a number (8.48) and a unit (km/hr). While you can set up a situation where the unit is either implied or else not needed, this is not the case here. The statement of question asks about a wind blowing to the SE and, in this instance, velocity has a real physical meaning as a ratio of distance to time and that requires a unit.

What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude. Vectors are used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

How do I solve a vector problem in physics?

To solve a vector problem in physics, you need to follow a few steps. First, identify the given quantities and the unknown quantity. Then, draw a vector diagram and label all the vectors with their magnitudes and directions. Next, use trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to find the components of the vectors. Finally, use vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant vector, which represents the answer to the problem.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude (size) and no direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time. On the other hand, a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by an arrow.

Can I use any units for vectors in physics?

Yes, you can use any units for vectors in physics as long as they are consistent. This means that all the vectors in a problem should have the same units. For example, if one vector is given in meters and another in kilometers, you need to convert them both to either meters or kilometers before performing any calculations.

What is the importance of vectors in physics?

Vectors are essential in physics because they allow us to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force accurately. They also help us understand the relationship between different physical quantities and how they affect each other. Vectors are used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, navigation, and sports, to analyze and solve problems.