Tensor Manipulation: Is it Legal? | Homework Equations and Attempted Solution

In summary, the question is about the legality of a particular tensor manipulation involving the electromagnetic tensor and the metric tensor. The attempt at a solution involves using more than two repeated indices, which is not allowed in the standard notation. Therefore, the answer is no, it is not legal to perform this manipulation.
redstone

Homework Statement

Wondering if one particular tensor manipulation is "legal"

Homework Equations

[tex]U^{ij}=\eta_{ab}F^{ia}F^{jb}[/tex]
where F is the electromagnetic tensor, antisymmetric, with zeros on the diagonal

The Attempt at a Solution

So, starting there, is it legal for me to do this?
[tex]U^{ij}=F^{i}_{b}F^{jb}[/tex]

[tex]U^{ij}=\eta^{b}_{i}\eta^{ai}F_{ab}F^{ji}[/tex]

[tex]U^{ij}=\eta^{ab}F_{ab}F^{ji}[/tex]

[tex]U^{ij}=0[/tex]

since,

[tex]\eta^{ab}F_{ab}=0[/tex]

that makes my answer seem to trivial to be the real answer, but I don't see the mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
redstone said:
... is it legal for me to do this?
[tex]U^{ij}=\eta^{b}_{i}\eta^{ai}F_{ab}F^{ji}[/tex]
If you are using the standard notation, then no. You should never have more than two repeated indices (There are three "i"s).

ah, ok, thanks!

What is tensor manipulation?

Tensor manipulation is the process of manipulating tensors, which are mathematical objects used to describe the relationships between different quantities in a multi-dimensional space. This process involves performing operations such as addition, multiplication, and transformation on tensors to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

Why is tensor manipulation important?

Tensor manipulation is important because it allows scientists and mathematicians to model and solve complex systems and equations in a more efficient and accurate manner. It is also a fundamental tool in fields such as machine learning, where tensors are used to represent data and make predictions.

Is tensor manipulation legal?

Yes, tensor manipulation is completely legal. It is a mathematical and scientific tool that is widely used in various fields of study. However, it is important to note that the use of tensor manipulation in any unethical or illegal activities would make it illegal.

What are some common equations used in tensor manipulation?

Some common equations used in tensor manipulation include the Einstein summation convention, which simplifies expressions involving tensors, the tensor product, which combines two tensors to create a new one, and the tensor contraction, which reduces the rank of a tensor by summing over a specific index.

What should I do if I am struggling with tensor manipulation in my homework?

If you are struggling with tensor manipulation in your homework, it is important to seek help from your instructor, classmates, or online resources. You can also practice and review fundamental concepts and equations related to tensors to improve your understanding. Additionally, seeking out a tutor or attending study sessions can also be helpful in mastering tensor manipulation.