Chemical Potential: Physical Definition and Applications

In summary, the chemical potential is a constant that is set through Lagrange multiplicands and is used to sustain the number of particles in a system. It represents the amount of energy required to introduce another particle into the system and is the Fermi-Level of a large, equilibrium fermion gas. It acts as a conjugate thermodynamic variable to mass and is equivalent to -P for V, T for S, etc. In practical terms, it can be thought of as the energy for a particle to pass from a reservoir into the system.
TheDestroyer
Hello Guys,

I'm searching for the best physical definition for the "Chemical Potential" as an energy, what I know is that it's a constant set through Lagrange multiplicands which is set to sustain the number of particles. Actually I'm still not convinced with that, it's an energy, and should have some physical meaning.

What I also happen to know is:

1- For free electron theorem chemical potential is Fermi surface, mathematically.
2- In Bosé-Einstein condensation chemical potential for bosons falls to zero when T tends to zero, also mathematically.
3- For photons, phonons, magnons and so have zero chemical potential, because the number of quasi-particles isn't conserved, and so also mathematically!

So guys, any "physics" about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
?

Hey guys, is the question that complicated?

I don't have it in front of me right now, but as I recall, "Density-functional theory of atoms and molecules" by Parr and Yang has a whole chapter devoted to the rigorous derivation and investigation of the chemical potential. Or you could go look at the papers by Mulliken, who I think was the one who did the original pioneering work.

The chemical potential is the amount of energy it costs to introduce another particle into the system.

Equivalently, it's the conjugate thermodynamic variable to mass; i.e., [itex]\mu[/itex] is to mass what -P is to V, T is to S, etc.

In the context I use it all the time,

it's the Fermi-Level of a large, equilibrium fermion gas.

That explains, to me at least, why at temperature T, why there's still lots of energy in a Fermi gas, whereas no energy in Einstein-Bose condensate.

Mapes said:
Equivalently, it's the conjugate thermodynamic variable to mass; i.e., [itex]\mu[/itex] is to mass what -P is to V, T is to S, etc.

If you want to think about chemical potential in terms of being a conjugate thermodynamic variable, then it doesn't act as an energy, but as a force or pressure.

U = T*S - P*V + mu*N + other terms

T P and mu are conjugates that act of S V and N.

From a practical perspective... I imagine the system being in contact with a reservoir of particles and mu being the energy for a particle to pass from the reservoir into the system.

1. What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a thermodynamic property that describes the potential energy of a substance to undergo a chemical reaction. It is essentially a measure of the tendency of a substance to change its chemical composition.

2. How is chemical potential different from potential energy?

Chemical potential is a type of potential energy, but it specifically refers to the energy associated with a substance's ability to undergo a chemical reaction. Potential energy, on the other hand, is a more general term that refers to the energy stored in an object due to its position or state.

3. How is chemical potential measured?

Chemical potential is measured in units of energy per particle, such as joules per mole or electronvolts per atom. It can also be expressed as a partial derivative of the internal energy with respect to the number of particles in a system.

4. What are some applications of chemical potential?

Chemical potential plays a crucial role in many chemical and biological processes, such as phase transitions, chemical reactions, and diffusion. It is also used in the study of materials science, electrochemistry, and thermodynamics.

5. How does temperature affect chemical potential?

Temperature has a direct effect on chemical potential. As temperature increases, the energy of particles increases, leading to a higher chemical potential. This can influence the rate and direction of chemical reactions and phase transitions.