Solving Absolute Value Inequalities without Changing Directions

In summary, Homework Statement -The Attempt at a Solution is that the same as this -1<1/(x-1)<1; -can i do each side by it self then take the values at which they intersect -so i subtracted the 1 then got (-x+2)/(x-1) then made a sign chart with 2 and 1 on it -then took the less than terms so i got (1,2) for the first suoltions-for the second i got x/(x-1) then made a sign chart with 0 and 1 on it -is this rightis that the same as this
cragar

Homework Statement

|1/(x-1)|<1

The Attempt at a Solution

is that the same as this -1<1/(x-1)<1

can i do each side by it self then take the values at which they intersect

so i subtracted the 1 then got (-x+2)/(x-1) then made a sign chart with 2 and 1 on it
then took the less than terms so i got (1,2) for the first suoltions
then for the second i got x/(x-1) then made a sign chart with 0 and 1 on it
then i took the greater than terms geting (-inf,0) U (1,inf)
is this right

Physics news on Phys.org
is that the same as this -1<1/(x-1)<1

Well, let's check. Suppose x = 0. Does this inequality hold? No because -1 = -1.

Maybe this will help:

|x| < y
=> x < y or -x > -y

ok i see so you took x<y then divided it by a -1 and then flipped the sign
so then would our soultions to my original inequality be
(-inf,1) U (2,inf)

A shorter idea (for future reference)
[tex]
|x| < y
[/tex]

is the same as
[tex]
-y < x < y
[/tex]

If your problem begins with [tex] \le [/tex] then replace [tex] < [/tex] with [tex] \le [/tex] in the simplification.

would we then have to do a sign chart

Last edited:
crager,
Look again at Dunkle's first response. Graph the relation on a number line and you may more clearly find a path to a solution of his example and to your exercise problem.

In your original expression on the left, the expression inside of the absolute value is either positive, or negative; examine each of these conditions separately. Do you yet need more detailed descriptions?

(-inf,-2) U (2,inf) is this the answer

Reread post #6 and #2. Check your answer.

Start with |y|<1, where y = 1/(x-1).

Use a number line to help understand this:
Either y<1 OR -y<1.

Replace y with the original expression and solve, and check or first solve for y and then replace y with the original expression and finish solving.
...but be careful. I'm not absolutely sure about my own answer, so I might have made a conceptual error. Still, not that for the particular exercise, x canNOT be 1.

In my opinion, the simplest way to solve most inequalities is to first solve the associated equation. |1/(x-1)|= 1 reduces to 1/(x-1)= 1 or 1/(x-1)= -1. Multiplying both sides of each gives 1= x-1 and 1= 1- x. In the first case, x= 2 and in the second x= 0. The point of that is that continuous functions can change from "<" to ">" on where they are "=". Of course, |1/(x-1)| is NOT continuous at x= 1 so we must add that possibility: the inequality can change at x= 0, x= 1, and x= 2. If we take x= -1< 0, |1/(-1-1)|= 1/2< 1 so the given inequality is true for all x< 0. Check a value of x between 0 and 1, a value of x between 1 and 2, and a value of x larger than 2 to determine which of those intervals also satisfy the inequality.

What is an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value inequality is an inequality that contains an absolute value expression. It compares the distance of a number from zero to a given value.

How do you solve an absolute value inequality?

To solve an absolute value inequality, you must first isolate the absolute value expression. Then, you must consider two cases: when the expression is positive and when it is negative. Solve for each case separately and combine the solutions to find the final answer.

What is the difference between an absolute value inequality and an absolute value equation?

An absolute value inequality compares the distance of a number from zero to a given value, while an absolute value equation sets the absolute value expression equal to a given value. In other words, an inequality indicates a range of values that satisfy the condition, while an equation gives a specific value that satisfies the condition.

Can an absolute value inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, an absolute value inequality can have more than one solution. This is because there may be multiple values that satisfy the condition of being a certain distance from zero. For example, the absolute value inequality |x| ≤ 5 has two solutions: x = 5 and x = -5.

Why is it important to understand absolute value inequalities?

Understanding absolute value inequalities is important because they are commonly used in real-world applications, such as when dealing with distances or absolute errors. They also play a crucial role in solving systems of linear inequalities, which are used to model and solve various problems in science, engineering, and economics.