How does a gyroscope react to external torque and gravitational forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a gyroscope when an external torque is applied to resist the induced precession torque. It is believed that the gyroscope would gently fall to the ground, as it is still exerting the precession torque but without a change in angular momentum. However, there is some uncertainty due to the current issues with Latex.
Bull85
Hello,

I would like to know how react the gyroscope like in this video:

http://gyroscope.com/youtube.asp?movie=4KlddP16uuU

if I stop the rotate around vertical axis. The gravity cause the precession but if I place an object in front of the gyroscope how does it works ?

Thanks

Bull

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Bull is asking: If we were to apply an external torque to resist the induced precession torque, would the gyroscope drop to the ground as if it had no gyroscopic action at all, or would it gently fall to the ground, since some of it's torque due to gravity in the theta direction is still being converted into a precession torque in the phi direction?

I believe if we were to apply a counter-torque to the precession torque, the gryoscope would gently fall the the ground, since it's still exerting the precession torque, it just isn't accompanied by a change in angular momentum. I tried putting up some Latex, but it looks like Latex is down.

Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited:
seye

Hello Bullseye,

Thank you for your question. A gyroscope is a device that is used to measure or maintain orientation and angular velocity. It consists of a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on a set of gimbals, allowing it to rotate freely in any direction. The key principle behind a gyroscope is conservation of angular momentum, which states that a rotating object will maintain its orientation and direction of rotation unless acted upon by an external torque.

In the case of an external torque, such as the one demonstrated in the video you provided, the gyroscope will react by precessing, or changing the direction of its spin axis. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where the torque applied causes a change in the direction of the angular momentum vector. As the gyroscope precesses, it will continue to rotate around its axis, but the axis itself will change direction.

When it comes to gravitational forces, a gyroscope will also react in a similar manner. If an object is placed in front of the gyroscope, it will cause a gravitational torque on the spinning wheel, causing it to precess in the direction of the torque. This is because the weight of the object causes a shift in the center of mass of the gyroscope, resulting in a change in its angular momentum.

In summary, a gyroscope reacts to external torque and gravitational forces by precessing, or changing the direction of its spin axis, while still maintaining its overall orientation and direction of rotation. I hope this helps to answer your question. Thank you for your interest in the fascinating world of gyroscopes.

Best regards,

What is gyroscope torque?

Gyroscope torque refers to the force that is exerted on a gyroscope when it is rotating. This force causes the gyroscope to maintain its orientation and resist any external forces.

How does a gyroscope generate torque?

A gyroscope generates torque through the principle of conservation of angular momentum. As the gyroscope spins, its rotational inertia causes it to resist any changes in its orientation, thus generating torque.

What is the importance of gyroscope torque?

Gyroscope torque is important because it allows for the stability and orientation control of various devices and systems such as airplanes, spacecraft, and navigation tools.

How is gyroscope torque measured?

Gyroscope torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb). This measurement can be obtained using specialized torque sensors or by calculating the force and distance from the center of rotation.

What are some practical applications of gyroscope torque?

Gyroscope torque has many practical applications, including navigation systems, gyroscopic stabilizers for cameras and drones, and motion control in robotics. It is also used in various industrial and scientific equipment for precise measurement and control of orientation.